Chapter Eighteen

Rest was for people who didn't wreak havoc on the first day in their guardian's new position, making him look like an incapable fool and driving everyone to distraction. It was for girls who didn't get into fights with celebrities, didn't get stuck on rooftops, and didn't ruin expensive articles of clothing by dangling off ladders.

Rest was not for Rose.

She sat on the sofa for hours while Yuta ranted and raved about her irresponsible behaviour, cursing her impetuousness and childish manner, questioning her intellect and threatening her with the first flight back to Tokyo if she were ever to do anything so stupid again. Rose couldn't help but see her father in him as he strode back and forth across the living room, pausing only when he wanted to emphasise his point and bellow at her about her behaviour. Yuta's father – Isao – was a reserved man. He spoke only when necessary and wasn't prone to rambling or outbursts of wild emotion. Rose's father, on the other hand, was rash and impulsive. They were traits he and Rose shared, and some of that had rubbed off on Yuta in the many years they'd known one another, Takashi being something of an uncle to him as a boy. Certainly, Yuta's tendency to scold Rose in such a manner hadn't come from his mother. Akane was a sweet, gentle woman, and always ready to defend her dear Rose against her beastly son when he was cruel to her. No, this was all Takashi, and Rose was getting flashbacks to her graduation night.

It was an odd change of situation for her. Rose had worked hard in high school to please the people around her; she got good grades, she didn't complain, and she only showed her true colours in front of her friends because they accepted her for her often wild and unpredictable behaviour when not under the eyes of her doting parents or their classmates. Sometimes Yuta scolded her when she was silly or irrational, but the tirades were new, and she wasn't sure she liked this side of him. Sure, he was worried about her, but as soon as he'd assured himself that she was unharmed but for a few scrapes and bruises, he'd given way to the anger which had bubbled up inside of him since early that morning – perhaps since their argument the previous evening – and it felt relentless.

'Yuta,' Rose said at last when there was a break in his vitriol. 'Please, can't I go to bed?'

'It's late,' Hitomi added. Loyally, she'd stayed with Rose in the living room, suffering through the lecture with her if only so she could step in if she thought Yuta crossed a line. Thus far, she'd not seen the need, and Rose understood this to mean that Hitomi agreed with almost everything Yuta had to say. The girl added, 'She needs to sleep if you want her to model tomorrow.'

'That's another thing,' Yuta said, and Rose glowered at Hitomi for inspiring this new tangent. 'Years of asking, and now you finally agree?'

'It hasn't been years,' Rose muttered.

'Seven!'

'He's right,' Hitomi whispered.

'I know. Shush.'

'You just walk away without a damn word!'

'That's not true,' Rose reasoned, albeit stupidly. 'I said I quit before I walked out.'

Yuta drew in a sharp breath through his nose. Rose fell silent, and he accused, 'You're doing this because you like that ridiculous idol, aren't you?'

'Tae-won?' Rose wrinkled her nose in disgust at the very idea. 'Are you serious? I'd rather marry Hitomi!'

'What are you trying to say?' Hitomi asked.

'That... I love you and you're the only girl for me?'

'Damn right.'

'Rose!' Yuta snapped at the girl. 'Focus!'