Chapter Forty-Five

Lights the shape of stars hung at different heights from the ceiling, creating a magical, impossible sky under which the staff began to pose the women in their dresses, arranging the fabric so that the patterns would catch the light in just the right way. The reflections from the lake upon which the building stood were stunning, but they could also throw off the composition of the pictures if the technicians didn't take care. They also didn't want any glare from sequins or other shimmering embellishments, or shadows which made the outfit appear darker than it was. Rose felt like a museum statue, forced to stand impossibly still while they manipulated her like an inanimate prop.

'Enough!' Jin-hee cried at last. 'Where is Tae-won? I want to change outfits. This dress is heavy!'

Rose didn't say as much, but she was inclined to agree. The purpose of Silver Lilies was to make clothes that women would want to wear out every day and were affordable – style over substance was more a Silver Heart motto – but they were also trying to showcase the Korean culture and the way in which it had inspired its home-grown designers and their fashions. There were a lot of images for them to portray, and they couldn't move on until the group shots with Tae-won were done.

'Aish, stop complaining,' he snapped at Jin-hee as he walked towards them. His head was high and his shoulders squared, but there was something forced about his posture. Tae-won was a man who walked tall naturally. Now it seemed that it required a great deal of concentration. Without so much as looking at Rose, he asked Si-woo, 'Where do you want me to stand?'

If Tae-won did intend to out Rose as the heiress of two wealthy families – the Porters and the Abes – then he gave no indication of it during the shoot

If Tae-won did intend to out Rose as the heiress of two wealthy families – the Porters and the Abes – then he gave no indication of it during the shoot. This wasn't part of their romantic first-love plot, and there was no need for Rose to stand beside him alone, or to look into his eyes like he was about to save her from a life of loneliness. When she wasn't required, she stood out of the way and watched him work with Jin-hee. He gave it his all, but Rose could see the strain starting to show on his face. Even if she didn't particularly like him, Rose knew what it was like to have to work even when you wanted to stop. Unless you spoke up, no one was going to give you a break so that you could catch your breath and drink some water, and even then, photographers were known for complaining if they weren't the ones to have called time.

While Si-woo paused to look through the last few shots on the digital camera screen, Rose approached him and tapped his shoulder gently. In her sweetest voice, she asked, 'Do you think we could stop for a few minutes? I think some of the assistants want to use the bathroom and sit down.'

Si-woo looked at Jin-hee and Tae-won, both of whom stood waiting for him to give his next instruction. As though seeing the exhaustion on Tae-won's face for the first time, he nodded. It didn't take a genius to figure out that Rose meant Tae-won needed a break rather than the assistants. She was trying to spare him the indignity of implying he was weak or unable to continue by leaving his name out of it. Any other man might have been envious if the girl they liked was showing another person such a courtesy. To Si-woo, however, it just made him appreciate Rose's kindness all the more. After all, he hadn't seen anything but hatred between the pair of them.