Feel the Burn

Matt's and my experience in the pool had taught everyone a valuable lesson. Turn the pool heater on. Although the pool area was sunny, warm and sheltered from any breezes, in short the perfect location for relaxing, the sun didn't beat down on the pool with enough intensity to heat the water much above a brisk chill. The simple solution was to flick a switch in the utility room that heated the pool to a comfortable swimming temperature still cool enough to be refreshing but we were no longer at risk of hypothermia.

Our first night in what Brian had dubbed 'Gates Manor' was a quiet one as everyone dealt with their jet lag. The guys were delighted to find a games room with a bar and pool table down a set of steps from what became known as the 'banqueting hall' a large vaulted room with two long tables and at one end deer heads mounted on the wall on either side of a fireplace so big you could stand in it.

Having not napped when we'd arrived I'd headed to bed early but despite how tired I was I lay tossing and turning under the covers. I had the bedroom window flung open and could hear the sound of voices coming from the terrace outside the banqueting hall two floors down so it was a surprise when my door opened with a creak allowing a sliver of light to illuminate Matt who slipped into bed beside me.

"I can't fuckin sleep without you," he murmured as he pulled me close and curled his body around mine.

It was like someone had given me a sleeping pill. Almost immediately I relaxed into his embrace and felt sleep overtake me. Just as I slid into oblivion I was certain that, yet again, I felt the warmth of his breath and his lips on the back of my neck.

The next morning had me awake as the dawn light filtered through the window. Matt slumbered on beside me for once not snoring like a chain saw starting up, it was more like little snuffly growls and utterly adorable. His lashes fluttered against his cheeks and he made a sound of protest as I disentangled myself from his hold and crawled out of bed. The ensuite bathroom was housed in one of the towers at each corner of the building and each bedroom had one. Through the long narrow window where I imagined archers had once stood I could see the golden light of the dawn slowly making its way into the valley for what promised to be a glorious day. There was no way that I was going to be able to get back to sleep even with the gorgeous man occupying my bed.

I quickly dressed in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Deciding that an early morning walk was a good idea I shoved my arms into a cardigan and laced up my sneakers. Deciding that it was worth the risk I pressed a kiss to Matt's cheek before I crept from the room.

Downstairs in the kitchen I was surprised to find Steph wistfully contemplating a wheel of camembert and a packet of sliced bread.

"What kind of savages do they think we are?" she hissed waving the bread at me before contemptuously tossing it down on the table. The amazing bread from lunch the day before had all been consumed.

"Um, Australians and Americans?" It was a question because I wasn't exactly sure what she was asking.

"Exactly! This abomination cannot stand! There's a boulangerie in the village. Come on, we're going down there for some decent bread." She shoved her hand into the pot where we'd stashed a load of Euro for food purchases and pulling out a handful shoved them in the pocket of her jeans. Snatching up the sliced bread again she moved toward the rubbish bin. I darted after her and grabbed the bread from her hand.

"Stop! Bill and Ted like this stuff and I'm pretty sure the other kids do as well. Let's make sure they like what you're getting before you bin it!"

She looked like she was going to argue for a moment before she sighed in resignation and let me have my way.

The walk down to the village was utterly silent other than the sound of birds and occasionally a dog barking or cattle lowing in the distance. For the most part Steph and I walked in silence which I was glad for as I wanted to enjoy the early morning.