1: Helping Everyone Minus Yourself

America's POV

Honestly? It was a matter of time before Maxon chose Kriss. I just don't understand as to why he didn't do it sooner. I broke his heart in half, then in quarters, and yet he still attempted to keep me here. I loved him still and to this day, I would probably take a bullet for him, and not just because he is the future king, but because he would do it for me and I wouldn't let him. I know that just because he is going to marry Kriss, doesn't mean that I won't forever love him.

"America?" Celeste tapped me on the shoulder. "Are you going to be alright?".

I nodded my head "Yes", but refrained from talking because I knew that even just thinking about it for another second was going to make me burst into tears. I looked up at the chandeliers and fanned at my eyes. As Celeste was walking away, I asked her.

"Celeste, I know that this is weird for me to ask and do, but is it okay if I stayed at your place for a bit? My family was expecting me to get married to Maxon, but we all saw how that played out. I just don't want to be a burden to my mom

." I confessed.

She smiled and nodded at me. The things I did to you during The Selection can never be undone, but I will try and fix them however that means to you. Of course, you can stay with me". She looked to my left and glanced up. It was Kriss.

"One last hug?" Kriss asked holding her arms up.

I gave her a weak smile and hugged her, hoping it was the last time I would see her again.

I had already said goodbye to my maids and it was a matter of time before Maxon would try and come to see how I was doing, and frankly, I didn't want that to happen. I just wanted to go to Celeste's house and eat ice cream.

Celeste must have read that on my face and gestured to the door leading to the palace garden. From there we drove home. I could have sworn I heard someone yell "America", but at this point with the rebels, it wouldn't surprise me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-6 Months Later-

America's POV

I can't lie about this because I've lied about it before. I was hurting. A lot and neither May, my mom Celestes or even Kenna could help me right now. It's gotten to the point where it hurts to watch TV. Fear of an ad promoting the Draft, fear of his name being mentioned. My entire future was destroyed because of my lack of telling the truth. I would do absolutely anything to get him back because knowing Maxon, he wouldn't hesitate to do the same for me.

I tried everything, thinking about how I went wrong, If I didn't this instead of that, what might've happened? If I told the truth, I still would have ended up home, alone, crying. Things still would have stayed the same, and maybe this was just the universe telling us to not be together.

This was all for the best, Kriss wasn't going to leave Maxon any time soon, and Maxon wouldn't do that to Kriss.

My time was up to mourn my love that will never be mine but to move on and try and create something new.

It wasn't long until I received a call from the palace.

"America it's for you," Celetese said, giving me the phone.

"America, I know that this is weird and awkward for you and for me to ask you for this, but please, have an open mind about it, and please don't freak out. Your my last resort and I don't know where or who else to go to." The voice said.

"I'm sorry, but may I ask whom is speaking?" I questioned.

"It's Maxon, Maxon Schreave..." He answered.

I didn't say anything at all at that point, I was too scared to hear what may come up.

"Hello? America?" He called.

"America Singer, would you please be Me and Kriss' surrogate for the heir?"

On that note, I felt a mix of emotions. He called me back, but to gain something from me. He didn't call me because he genuinely cared, he called me because I was his last resort.

This story is going to a little bit different than other stories I've written, but I just thought it was going to be fun and interesting to write. Let's see what this story teaches me and where it takes us.