6. Bittersweet

America's POV

It had been a few days later and I was a ball of nerves entering the doctor's office. It would honestly determine my entire future. I would forever be linked to the royal family, but no one would know it. 

Dr. Ashlar gave me a cup, and immediately I knew what to do. I went to the bathroom and returned with that same cup. I gave him it, and he was off. 

My mother couldn't know it because she would most definitely disagree with my decision and try to attempt for me to move on, and truth be told, I couldn't do that. 

Over those last few months, it seemed like I really got to know Maxon, to really understand where he was coming from and how he really was under all those medals. He was a person with a heart and was a genuine and an authentic person. 

To put it simply, he was my everything and I lost it by making a simple and regrettable mistake. It was selfish of me to take advantage of Kriss like this. She had been nothing be sweet to me and still was poised and elegant. I wanted to hate her for stealing everything I had, but in reality, I'm stealing everything she has at this point. 

Kriss can't have children, which means that she can't bear any heirs. For the royal family, that is a crucial thing as queen. 

If somehow this mess of a plan works, I will be carrying the heir of Illea. No one will know. No family, no friends, no fans. I'll be in isolation in my own house, which Maxon will probably provide, and I wait. I'll wait to give birth, and never meet this baby again if I want my family alive. I'll recognize them only as the future heir to the throne. My first-born. 

I've only thought of what might happen if this didn't work. I might have the same condition as Kriss. Unable to carry children. The two finalist's of The Selection, unable to carry children. 

I was mad at Maxon nonetheless for not believing me. I'm doing this because he begged me to. And because I feel that I can't say no. 

Maxon fed me, he changed rules for me. The scars on his back are because of me. 

If I have to endure 9 months worth of pain, to repay Maxon for his lifelong reminder of pain, I must do it. 

I saw the door open and my face was full of nervousness. I looked at Dr. Ashlar and there he was.  Clipboard under his armpit, and sanitizing his hands. Placing the clipboard down, he reached down to my arms, and comfortably calmed me. 

"Congratulations." He smiled. "You're pregnant." 

Giving me a pamphlet about being a mother, I took it and started to feel all sorts of emotion. 

Love

Fear

Hate

I love Maxon even more now that we're theoretically together. 

I fear that I will get too attached to this child

And I hate that I have to share with Kriss. 

"Dr. Ashlar. Could you tell Maxon? I don't want to myself." I said. 

He looked at me confusingly, and asked: "Why?". 

"It's too weird of a situation, and I'm quite tired. I just want to return to Carolina and sleep." 

"Alright, but I must tell you, Maxon arranged a room for you, and it is quite large. Please, talk to him before you leave as I have no inclination in talking you out of this." He explained.

 I smiled and nodded and was on my way to Maxon's office. 

---

As I walked through, something strange happened. 

Kriss. Standing there with a smug look on her face. 

"Congratulations. I'll name them." She said, and wish she was walking the opposite way. 

I dare not tell Maxon about what I and Kriss agreed on. It would break his heart too much since I believe that he feels the same way I do. 

---

I knocked on the door, and there was a brief 

"Come in." 

I pushed the door realizing what was about to happen. 

"America!" He smiled and put down everything to embrace me. 

I pushed him away on instinct since there were guards and butlers around. Without saying anything, I took his hand and we went into his office where only he was allowed. 

I looked him in the eyes and said. 

"I'm pregnant." 

-----------

I'm so sorry that this took so long to upload. My laptop broke down on me and I was on a long vacation to visit some family. There was no computer where I could write in peace without someone bothering me. I now have a Desktop Mac in my room, so I will update ALOT more frequently. 

I'm so sorry about this...