Chapter 3

Jake's P.O.V.
(The next day)

I slipped my number into her locker like my mother told me. Hopefully I got it in before she arrived because now I'm super nervous.

I went straight to the english class that we now shared and took the seat next to where she usually sat. Time felt like it was stopped, the minutes went slower than ever. I bounced my knee as I waited and when that didn't suffice I headed to the hallways. I waited at her locker, chewing on my thumb to hopefully walk her to class.

Is that weird? Do friends walk each other to class? Are we friends? Movement caught my eye and I looked up frantically. She wore a black sweatshirt with a loose pair of matching sweatpants.

What I didn't realize was worse.

---

I hardly made it to school. I had to leave early because I knew I would never make it on time in my condition. Having to make so many stops along the way I'm surprised I even made it to school. Whether it was planned to keep me at school or not, the pain in my legs would definitely make sure I didn't leave early.

As I made it through the entrance Jake was waiting at my locker. Great. How do I make it not seem suspicious that I can hardly walk? If he notices then he will want to help and I don't need anyone's help.

When I made it there he offered to take my bag for me. Damn kind-hearted dude. I shook it off and opened the locker. "Which ones do you need for class, I'll go put them in the room." he offered.

At least there is one nice person in this god forsaken world. I pointed to the notebook I needed and he put the bag in the locker before heading off. I leaned into the locker slightly to ease some of the pain. I stood there catching my breath while I was alone when I noticed something I hadn't seen before. There was a little slip of paper with a phone number on it. Grabbing my phone from the pocket I plug the number in and think about what to type.

Although there was no name written there is only one person that is actively trying to interact with a loner like me.

An idea pops into my head and I write the text but don't send it.

I check the time and sigh as I notice class starts soon. If I don't get going now I'll never make it. Hopefully Jake doesn't see me and want to help out again.  No matter how much pain I'm in.

Barely making it to the doorway, I rub my legs and wait before making my way to my usual seat.

---

Something isn't right. I'm not quite sure what but something isn't right.

Although I've never been here before her, she seems to be taking her time to get to her seat. Is that intentional? She's bolted out of the room before so is something up? Am I overthinking this whole thing? Maybe it's just because I'm nervous because of slipping my number in her locker.

When the bell rang it's as if she was waiting for me to leave before she left. Even the teacher was gone before we had exited. This is definitely abnormal behavior. Should I ask her about it? What if she just overworked herself on leg day or something?

Using the desks for support she made her way to the front of the class before she stopped. "Is something wrong?" I inquired

She nodded before collapsing forward. I put my notebook down instantaneously and jumped forward to catch her. She seemed limp as if she had passed out. I knew something wasn't right. I wrapped her arm around my neck and attempted to support her and hold the notebooks.

I had to go to my locker to get the rest of my stuff and grab the belongings from her locker. I can do this. I'll go to mine first and put the notebooks in my bag and grab my keys. Should I take her to my car first? What if she wakes up? I'd rather not be accused of kidnapping.

After managing to get both bags from our lockers I make my way to the exit closest to my car. Getting her into the car was much easier than the maneuvers I had to do to get our bags. Phrasing, Jake, phrasing!

I rushed to my house without going wildly over the speed limit and met my mother outside. "Hey mom. This is the friend I may have told you about in the dream and texted you about earlier. Suddenly she just collapsed. It looked like she was having trouble walking earlier. If anything happened she hasn't told me about it. I know the nurse wouldn't have taken this seriously so I brought her here. Can you help me get her in the house? You can use my bed and I'll wait on the couch." I rush out

She nods along and we get her inside and take the stairs to my bedroom. We lay her down and I start to head out, "Oh, uhm. Let me know if you need anything and let me know if she wakes up?"

"Of course, sweetheart" she promised.

---

I'll wait for her to wake up before examining her. I can't help but notice her pale skin and subtle scars on her exposed hands. What has this girl been through?

She came to shortly after arriving. She looked very scared, I'm sure I would too if I woke up somewhere unfamiliar. "Hi sweetie. My name is Gemini, like the zodiac sign. Don't worry, you're safe. Jake brought you here shortly after you collapsed. You're in good hands, I'm a nurse." I explain.

She quickly pays herself in search of something, ah her cellphone.

"So I would like to give you an exam but if you don't feel comfortable then we can forget about it." I begin

She tapped on her phone and showed it to me, she had typed something up.

"You may not like what you find but if you can help me then do as you need." I repeat out loud.

I nod my head, "Then let's begin."

---

unknown number: is this who I think it is

sent at 11:53 am

Revised March 20, 2024