3 | The Mint Tea

Five minutes later, I'm escorted from the room by a pair of Peacekeepers, who shove me into the back of a car. Newt's not sitting next to me, he's travelling in a different vehicle. They car stops at a train station, where there are cameras everywhere, and what feels like millions of cameramen there just to take a photo of my face for the Capitol. My face subconsciously relaxes as I see Newt already on the train, his face also being followed by cameras. When his eyes meet mine, they fill with an emotion I don't know how to describe. Sadness, sorrow, hope, and pity are visible in those chocolate brown eyes, and my facial expression must match his. I'm quickly loaded onto the train after him, cameras following my gaze that doesn't once slip from Newt's. Ava Paige meets me as I walk in, and I'm separated from Newt once again as she escorts me to a bedroom nearly larger than my entire house, with a bathroom connected. I stand there, dazzled for a few moments by the bright lighting that turns on as soon as I walk in. Ava tells me to take a shower and get changed; dinner's in only a few hours. I slowly step into the shower. The warm, steamy water turns on as I step into the shower and I must spend half an hour standing there, experimenting with all the buttons. There's one that inserts soapy pink shampoo over my scalp and another that rinses my body down with a kind of white soap that's as warm and pleasant as the water. I step out of the shower after scrubbing my body and hair clean, and I simply press a button that instantly dries both my body and hair. Wrapping my body in a fluffy white towel, I examine myself in the full length mirror in the bedroom. My hair falls in waves over my shoulders, and my face is, for the first time since I was a baby, completely free of dirt and coal dust. I can see my bright e/c eyes underneath clean eyelashes, and a nose clear of its normal coating of dirt. I open the wardrobe to find an infinite selection of the most bizarre clothes I've seen in my life, and hunt around for a while to find something that looks almost normal. I choose a pair of soft, black pants that feel similar to the ones at home, and a pair of brown boots. I select a pale grey shirt and a forest green jacket to remind me of the woods at home. I step into the bathroom and see my outfit discarded on the floor. Carefully stepping over the dress, sash, and shoes on the floor, I reach for the bronze ribbon that I promised Chuck would be my district token. I tie my hair up in a bun with it as I exit my bedroom and into another compartment. There, I find Ava sitting there with Minho, the only District Twelve victor, and the mentor that Newt and I now share. They seem to be arguing about something, I don't know if I want to know what it's about. They're sitting at a wooden table with high-backed chairs that seem ridiculously excessive if you ask me. A bowl of dainty fruit sits between them, but neither of them seem to be eating any. Minho is the first one to notice me.

"Y/n! Get your shuck pony-loving butt over here," he calls, patting the seat next to him to indicate that I sit down. I think about nodding my head at him, but that seems too formal of an address to someone only a year older than I am, so I hold my head high and take the seat next to him.

"So, shank, Ava and I were discussing your strategy for the Game-" Minho starts, but he gets cut off by Ava.

"And as I was saying, Minho, you're travelling to the Capitol, so don't use any of that Twelve language around me-" I stop listening as she rants on to him about not using Twelve words such as slinthead, or, shuck, or shank, words created long ago before the Dark Days began, before the Hunger Games even started. I notice Minho looking at me out of the corner of his eye with a light smirk on his face. I roll my eyes at him, and cough loudly.

"So, Ava," I begin, and she stops abruptly. "Can I have some of this?" I ask, gesturing at the fruit in front of me.

"Of course, y/n," she says, rather haughtily, "but dinner's in an hour, so don't ruin your appetite-"

"For shuck's sake, Ava!" Minho exclaims. "Let the girl eat as much as she shucking wants, let her ruin her own appetite!"

"Well, I happen to think that y/n is perfectly entitled to eating what she wants, so long as she doesn't spoil-"