12 | The Interviews

"Let's get Thomas!" Evrin's excited voice calls out as she leaves my body clean and polished. My nails are painted black with grey and white tips, and so is my hair, which curls down around my shoulders. Locliel, Evrin and Sereia burst out of the room and the door swings open to reveal Thomas standing there holding a coat hanger with a sort of white sheet over it. Underneath must be my dress for the interviews, but I can't see it, which makes me nervous.

"What does it look like?" I ask apprehensively.

"Wait and see," Thomas replies. "Now, close your eyes." I obediently shut my eyes and I feel Thomas move closer to me. I hear the swish of the fabric as the white sheet is removed. Thomas eases the dress over my body and helps me into a pair of small heels. I exhale in relief - the heels must only be about and inch high. Only.

"Now, open," Thomas commands and swivels me around so I'm facing a full length mirror. I open my eyes.

There's a girl standing in front of me. She looks similar to y/n of the Seam, but completely different at the same time.

She wears a simple, knee-length, sleeveless black dress with pleats at the waist. Her shoes are of the same dark shade. Grey and white patterns are stenciled up her arms and limited makeup is barely visible on her face, but black and grey designs curl around her eyelids and eyebrows and down towards her cheekbones. A tinge of red makeup is visible on her cheeks.

The girl looks both innocent and evil at the same time, like she knows a dark secret you don't. She looks dark and notorious, but simply like a small child, too.

The girl looks like how I would, but in a different world.

"Thomas," I whisper, "thank you."

"Yes, Minho told me your strategy. To look like you, but also like what the audience wants at the same time. This seemed perfect," Thomas explains quietly.

"It is perfect," I say.

"Good," Thomas says, "now, let's show the Capitol y/n of District Twelve!" He turns the doorknob and we walk out the room together. My heart beats faster and my palms begin to sweat. To say I'm terrified would be an understatement.

We meet with Ava, Minho, Brenda and Newt at the elevator. Newt's wearing a suit, like on the day of the opening ceremony, but this one seems less menacing and dark. His face is almost clear of makeup, except what's needed for the lighting, and his hair doesn't even have black tips like mine. Even so, he would look better without makeup, because he's, well, Newt. He grasps onto my hand without even having to ask, and I squeeze it back tightly as we step into the elevator. When the doors slide open again, we take our seats on stage, ready for our interviews. Caesar Flickerman, the Capitol man who hosts the interviews, comes into the limelight. This year, his hair is coated in a hideous, bright lime green colour, and despite his bizarre appearance, I know that Caesar does try his best to help all the tributes appeal to the crowd. He won't have much trouble for the Careers - the first tribute, the girl from One, Beth, is dressed in a shimmering silver gown, and a pang of jealousy shoots through me. She won't have any trouble getting sponsors. Neither will her partner Gally, or Teresa, or any of the other Careers. I listen to them talk with Caesar, and I listen to the murmurs of the crowd come on stage. Time flies by as all the twenty two other tributes are called. Frypan, and Alby, Harriet, Clint, Zart, Aris, Rachel, Jeff - their names fly past me as I begin to panic. Newt gives my hand a squeeze and helps me up as Caesar calls my name. I take the chair next to Caesar and shake his hand.

"So, y/n," Caesar begins conversationally, "tell us, what do you think of the costumes that your stylist has prepared for you these Games?"

My heart feels like it's being ripped out of my chest in fear. I don't understand him. What's he saying? I swivel my head around until I'm facing Newt, who nods at me encouragingly. I take a deep, stuttering breath and answer.