11 | The Strategy

Mellow light shines through the window - we must have left it open last night. I groan and sit up in bed, rubbing my eyes, and pushing the sheets off me.

Wait... sheets? I fell asleep on the floor last night - why am I in Newt's bed? He must have carried me here last night. I look to my right and see Newt himself lying there, breathing heavily, golden hair spread around him like a angel's. I sigh deeply and attempt to pull the covers back over him silently, so I don't wake him up. I try to tiptoe out of the bed quietly, and I think I've succeeded until his hand grabs my wrist.

"Morning, love," he says sleepily, nuzzling his head into the pillow.

"Morning, Newt," I reply, pulling on his hand to get him out of bed. He doesn't budge. "Newt," I say, more sternly, "it's time for breakfast."

"No," he groans. I shake my head.

"Newt, if you don't get up right now, I'll-I'll, uh...." my voice breaks off as I try to think up something intimidating.

"You'll what? Feed me to the Grievers?" he says sarcastically.

"What are Grievers?" I say, puzzled.

"Just something in a dream I had," he replies, shrugging, "and anyway, I'm awake." He shrugs the covers off him, and I realise we're both still in our clothes from yesterday, which I suppose is a good thing. I wouldn't have wanted him to undress me into pyjamas or anything.

"Good," I say, and pull him up out of bed.

"Fine," he says, "let's go to breakfast."

"But I'm still in my clothes from yesterday," I complain.

"Who cares?"

"Me," I say, but don't protest as he drags me up and out of the room, into the dining area. Sitting down at the table, I reach for a large plate of fruit, bacon, eggs and different types of meat. I take a large sip of orange juice, wipe my mouth with my sleeve and try to ignore Ava's look of disapproval.

"So, today, y/n will start with me, for presentation, and Newt will start with Minho, for content, and after four hours, you'll swap," Ava says briskly.

"Good that," Newt says, while I nod my understanding, and pour myself another glass of orange juice.

•••

"Chin up, y/n!" Ava snaps. I sigh. I've been working with her for almost three hours, and she's been irritating me since the very second I walked in the door. I tilt my head up and try to take a lap of the room while in an ankle-length dress and high heels that must be over six inches tall. Ava glares at me, and I realise that I'm forgetting to smile. I open my mouth wide and try and give an open smile to her, but it looks more like a grimace. Directing me to a chair, Ava teaches me how to sit still, hands crossed in my lap, while maintaining eye contact and smiling all the way. She teaches me how to use hand gestures in the interview, and her training does nothing except to make me even more terrified for tomorrow night.

By the time my training is over, it's already past lunchtime, which I've evidently skipped because of the length of Ava's training. Groaning, I think that I'm lucky I had a large breakfast as I meet Minho in the sitting room. Newt's not there - he must have just finished lunch. Unlike me. I frown as I take a seat opposite from Minho on the plush Capitol couches. Both of us are silent as Minho looks me up and down.

"So, slinthead," he says, frowning. "We have to work out what angle we're gonna play you. Sweet? Funny? Happy? Innocent? Sarcastic? Tough? Strong? Arrogant?"

"Sarcastic," I immediately answer. "Sarcastic and arrogant."

"Hmm," Minho frowns. "I was going to cross out tough and strong straight away, but I suppose-"

"Excuse me?" I snap. "Are you saying that I can't be tough and strong? Because, Minho, I find that f-"

"No, I'm not, you shuck-face!" Minho interrupts. "I'm just saying that if we want to make you appeal to the Capitol, it's going to be a hell of a lot easier if you stop complaining and let me do the shucking work!"

"Fine," I snap in anger, scowling, while sinking back into the chair. "What's the plan?"

"I'll tell you," Minho says impatiently. "But first, promise me one thing."

"What?"

"Don't complain. Do what I tell you to do. I know what's best for you, and I'm your mentor, so deal with it, slinthead. Okay?"

"Fine," I reply after a long period of silence.

"So, as I was saying," Minho continues, "we've got a bit to work with. Not much, but a bit. Innocent looking sixteen year old girl whose brother was called for the reaping-"

"I'm not innocent looking," I snap, offended.

"Shut up and let me talk, y/n! You promised, for shuck's sake!"

I groan.

"So, anyway, small, sixteen year old girl at the Games, but one who looked menacing and evil at the opening ceremonies. How are we going to get the Capitol to fall in love with you, y/n? Huh?" Minho stands up and starts circling around the couch I'm on.

"I don't know," I say, rolling my eyes.

"We're going to let the audience see who you truly are underneath that dark makeup, y/n."

"What do you mean?"

"Show them who you are, what you care about. Don't make them see the evil girl from the ceremony, show them one who can be innocent but evil when she wants to be," Minho finishes with a flourish.

"But what if I'm not innocent?"

"That doesn't matter! Show them what they want! Show them what will help you win!" Minho says, slamming his hands down on the back of my chair.

I contemplate this for a moment, then a small smirk rises on my lips. "I think I can manage that."

The two of us spend the next three and a half hours discussing my strategy for tomorrow. The plan turns into a blend of words in my head. Kind. Sarcastic. Innocent. Arrogant.

Me.

•••

"So, stylists tomorrow?" I say, lying in my own bed this time, but still next to Newt.

"Yeah, then the bloody interviews," Newt replies, frowning. It's been roughly three hours since I finished training with Minho, but I think we're both still fed up with the whole day. We barely got any time together, and now the only thing we have to look forward to tomorrow are the interviews which will determine if we're dead or alive in two weeks.

In short, we're both pretty stressed.

"Hey, y/n?" I hear Newt call into the silence.

"Mmm?" I respond.

"Tomorrow after interviews and dinner, I'll show you the roof. Good that?"

"Good that," I confirm. He pulls me into his chest so we're facing each other, and butterflies attack my heart. His lips touch the top of my head and linger there for a few seconds until pulling away.

"Night, love," he says and I smile into his chest.

"Night, Newt."