5.1

First draft / Unedited

The more Dia looked at the soldiers following Reyes, the more she realized there was something wrong with them. They didn't use hand signs and moved like civilians: uncoordinated and everyone on their own.  Although they obviously knew how to use a gun, they weren't soldiers.

That was the only explanation and even if it wasn't surprising---since Dia really doubted a unified army existed in the system---it also meant that people like Mitchel and Omen had been imperial soldiers at some time in the past.

What are they, deserters? Traitors? Spies like Reyes? The first two hypotheses seemed more likely than the last. Both Omen and Mitchell looked quite straightforward, and Dia was unable to picture them as spies. Besides, she didn't even want to think about the possibility there could be other agents of the Syndicate, hidden in the ranks of the Imperial Navy.

The problem was Omen didn't look like a traitor or a deserter. He seemed like a soldier from head to toe, and Dia was convinced neither a traitor nor a deserter would risk his life to save others. It was a riddle, but she had no time to think about it at the moment.

The reinforcements were still far from the house---maybe thirty meters or so---when Reyes stopped.

"What the hell took you so long?" Reyes asked one of them.

"Sorry, boss. But there are junkies everywhere. The markets are clear but..."

"I know they are everywhere! I saw them, Ferguson!" Reyes lashed. "What I want to know is why. This area should be under our control."

Ferguson hesitated. "We lost it a week ago. The junkies started going through withdrawal and..."

"Withdrawal? What are you talking about? Our stocks of Spice are still full."

"It's the gangs. They intercepted our convoys and..."

"...took the Spice." Reyes finished for him. He didn't look happy.

Ferguson just nodded.

"And now they are in charge of distribution in the area, right?"

Another nod.

"How did this happen?" Reyes asked, but shook his head without giving him the chance to answer. "No, before that. Is this an isolated incident?"

Ferguson looked uncomfortable.

"I..."He stuttered. "I don't know."

"You don't know?" Reyes replied, his voice low, but Dia knew very well that tone. It was the calm before the storm. "How the fuck can you not know?"

Ferguson wasn't much shorter than Reyes, but he seemed to shrink.

"We lost contact with our patrols in the north side of the city."

"When? When, Ferguson?"

"Three days ago."

Reyes was about to answer when Dia heard someone coughing from behind her.

Omen!

"Hey! Are you alright?" She asked as she crouched down close to him. Omen just groaned.

Yeah, sorry, dumb question.

His helmet made a click when she pushed the button connecting it with the rest of its armor and removed it. Underneath it, Omen's face looked bad, white and pale like a dead man.

He is still unconscious. Dia realized as she checked on him. His eyes were closed and his pulse erratic, a thin layer of sweat running down his temples.