13.2

First draft

The bridge was dead-quiet. Evidently, what had happened in that gloomy, claustrophobic room still lingered in their hearts. Maybe that's why one of the people responsible for this mess was nowhere to be seen. Dia looked around the Bridge, her eyes falling on Rodriguez, but the mercenary just shrugged. 

"Now that we cleared that up, let's move on." Reyes sounded satisfied, even a bit smug, "As you well know, the Gaerius system is on the other side of the galaxy. Even if we push the hyperdrive to the limits, we'll need more than ten hours to reach it. After that, we'll still have to go through the nebula. Without Hyperdrive, it will take us two days to get there."

"That's incorrect, captain." Oddly, Mitchell's unemotional voice lightened the mood, "At maximum impulse, it will take us two days, four hours, eighteen minutes..."

"Thank you, Mitchell." Reyes interrupted her, his mouth twitching, "My point is, we don't have much time. We can't hesitate." His voice rose,  becoming more powerful and magnetic - the voice of a leader, "The next days will be fundamental for the future of humanity."

"Humanity? For the Empire, you mean." One of the pirates, probably the bravest of them, argued.

"Right." Reyes nodded as he expected it, "Many of you believe this has nothing to do with us, but let me tell you something...you're wrong.  Those guys from the Collective are not like us. They don't think like us. They are aliens and the human race attacked them. That's what they know, that's the only thing that matters to them. They will retaliate and when they do, the Empire will crumble into dust." He glanced at Dia, "It's inevitable."

"About time." A pirate grunted, and many men nodded, "Let it burn!"

"But they won't stop there." Reyes added and the pirates froze, "Let me say this again, they are not humans. They don't give a fuck about the Empire or the Syndicate - it's all the same for them. They won't stop until we all are dead. Because that's what this is really about. A war for survival." Reyes let out a long sigh, "Whether you like it or not, we are all involved in this."

The pirates looked nervous, their voices merging into a chorus of whispers.   

"I know you have doubts, especially after what happened on Daxum. Probably you're wondering what the Umbra is really planning, but everything he has done so far was in preparation for this precise moment. Our mission is that important. Any question?" He asked, but the room was eerily quiet, "...well then. Eat, drink a glass of widka and go to sleep. Dismissed." 

One by one, all the people left the Bridge. Reyes was about to do the same when Dia stopped him, "Reyes, wait..."

"Dia, I know you want to talk about Suzanne, but this is not a good time." He sounded a little edgy, a line itched between his brows.

Dia surveyed him for a moment before raising her hands, "Fine, that can wait. But Reyes," She gave him a worried glance, "About the deadline..."

"Don't worry, Dia. I'm sure the Umbra will make an exception..." His mouth curved into a smile, "...as long as we catch Gibson, of course."

Then he was gone. 

Dia was still looking at his retreating back when Rodriguez said, "Wow," The mercenary fanned herself, "The men in this ship are very intense. And hot, did I mention hot?"

Dia forced a smile, "I'm sorry, but weren't you...?"
"Gay? I just prefer women. Why?" She narrowed her eyes, "Is that a problem?"
"No, I..." She scrunched up her face, shifting from one foot to another, "...not exactly."

"But I make you uncomfortable." Rodriguez insisted.

"You're can be...very straightforward." Dia admitted, "I need some time to get used to it."
Rodriguez scrutinized her for a while, but eventually, she shrugged, "Right, I forgot that you lived in the Empire. That explains it."