6.1

Unedited/ first draft

Unfortunately, her grand plan to escape was doomed to fail.

The tower where they were heading was a fortress, standing alone at the top of the city. The main problem, however, was the soldiers. Well, they looked more like armed thugs actually, but it didn't really matter since there were hundreds of them, placed all around the building and guarding the only access to the complex: that same railway they used to get inside.

Dia had the very bad feeling that once she was in, she could never get out unless the Umbra allowed it. She wanted to get off, but the train kept getting closer and closer, and when it stopped, it was already too late. 

"That's our stop" Someone whispered from behind her.

Dia opened her eyes wide, turning so quickly she almost tripped. But she didn't. When she was about to fall, someone grabbed her wrist and pulled her toward himself.

"Clumsy, Squirrel, clumsy. It's not like you."

Dia froze when she heard that voice, raising her head slowly just to find herself face to face with Reyes. He looked amused, his eyes laughing at her.

"I don't mind staying like this for all day...and night." He said, his lips curling into a roguish grin. "But we have to go."

And that's when she realized he was still hugging her, their faces dangerously close.

Dia pushed him away, but despite herself, she blushed like a twelve years old girl with her first crush. Reyes laughed and she blushed even more.

Her own body was betraying her, and he knew it.

"What about the others?" She asked, trying to stall for time as she stepped back. She wanted to stay as far away as possible from him.

Unfortunately, it didn't work.

"We'll go first." Reyes said, a knowing smile on his face like he could see right through her.

Dia opened her mouth like she wanted to argue, but Reyes didn't give her a chance.

"Let's go" He said, grabbing her arm and dragging her off the train.

A man, short and fat, was waiting for them near the entrance. He was in his late fifties, no taller than five-five, the waistcoat of his tuxedo ratty and a little stretched like he had worn it for a long time.

He glanced briefly at Dia before looking at Reyes, bowing to him like a courtier at a King's court, incredibly graceful for a man of his size. When he bent forward a golden medallion dangled from his neck, his gloved hands joined together like he was praying.

"Commander Reyes"

First Captain now commander? What's next? Admiral?

"Collins" Reyes acknowledged. "Everything in order?"

"Of course, sir. We were eagerly waiting for your return. The palace is ready to welcome you."

The palace? Dia furrowed her brow and glanced at Reyes, but he wasn't looking at her.

"Good. Lead the way then."

Dia was still puzzled but she could do nothing about that.

However, when she followed Reyes and Collins inside, that confusion gradually turned into shock.

It seemed like she made a step into the past; the architecture and decor completely different from the hi-tech government building she was used to seeing. The design was old but majestic, opulent and sumptuous, though probably a bit exaggerated.