13.3

First draft

"...heart." Someone said.

Dia's eyelids flickered.

"Rise and shine, sweetheart."

"Rodriguez? What..." Dia's eyes darted around the room, "...what am I doing here?"

Rodriguez' place looked exactly like Dia's room, but cleaner.

The merc pursued her lips, "You were completely wasted last night. I carried you to your room but the bed..."

"...was gone." Dia rubbed her temples. That headache was killing her, "Sorry, I didn't mean to bother you."

"Don't worry, sweetheart. You didn't. Actually, you were quite funny." Her eyes shone with amusement.

"Funny?" She asked.

Rodriguez just grinned, "Make yourself comfortable. I'll take a shower." The merc opened the bathroom's door, but halted, "Oh, I almost forgot. Your clothes are on the chair."

Dia looked at her blankly, her mouth hanging open. Then she lifted the blanket, heat staining her cheeks when she realized she was completely naked.

"By the way," A corner of Rodriguez' mouth quirked up, "you undressed yourself, in case you're wondering."

Dia was still gawking when Rodriguez closed the door.

Shortly afterwards, Dia felt her gums and fingertips itching, sign that Spice's effect was wearing off. She dragged herself out of bed, and she was about to take her daily dose when Rodriguez came back.

The merc frowned, "What is this thing?"

"Nothing. Painkillers for...the headache." Dia answered with the first thing that came to her mind.

Rodriguez raised an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Listen, Rodriguez, I..."

"Dia, you don't have to explain." The merc interrupted her, "I'm no saint. It's not my place to tell you how to live your life, but...you don't look well. Maybe it's better if you get the doctor to check you out."

"That's not a good idea, Rodriguez. Sarah hates me."

Rodriguez knitted her brow, "The pretty doctor? Why?"

"Well...I..."She scratched her head, "I almost killed her."

Rodriguez' mouth fell open, "What? What happened?"

Dia turned her face away, "Let's...let's just say that it's my fault."

"Well, damn, " The merc shook her head, "I didn't expect this."

Dia gave her a bitter smile, "Right?"

"But you really need to see a doctor, Dia." Rodriguez insisted, "You look like hell."

"I'm hungover." She tried to downplay it, "It will pass."

"Hungover? You're pale as a corpse and your eyes..." She grimaced, "Look, just say that you're sorry and get checked out."

"She almost died, Rodriguez." Dia answered, her irritation leaking into her voice, "Do you think a simple sorry would suffice?"

"Maybe not, but it can't hurt, right? Besides, what do you have to lose?"

"I don't know but..." Dia sighed, "Maybe you're right."

Rodriguez smirked at her, "I usually am. I don't know the doctor well, but she seems a kind soul. Don't worry, everything will be alright."