14.2

First draft

"So, what do you have in mind for today? Another torture session?" Dia joked, trying to lighten the mood as she hurried after Omen.

"Not exactly." He returned the smile robotically.

His body remained rigidly tense as they walked through the ship's angled corridors. Outwardly, he looked calm, all his movements brisk, efficient, but Dia knew it was just a facade. There was indignation hidden beneath that blue eye, and anger, so much anger.

Apparently, even the mental conditioning had limits and the deaths of thousands of fellow soldiers had pushed him over the edge. They turned around the corner, and Omen slowed down, approaching the door leading to the Sickbay.

Dia halted. "The sickbay? Why here, of all places?" She asked levelly, trying to control the urge to hyperventilate.

Omen shrugged. "Sarah has no patients, so she decided to lend the place to us."

"I bet it." She muttered under her breath. "She's always very accommodating to you."

Omen refused to rise to the bait. "Dia, the Sickbay is safe, far from prying eyes. Besides, we can't continue to use my place without giving rise to...rumors."

Dia's eyes narrowed, boring into his. "Reyes wouldn't take that well, would he?"

"No, he wouldn't." His tone was genial, amused and...bitter. "Besides, you know this can't continue. An unreliable weapon, no matter how powerful, is useless. That's why the first step is to learn how to control your anger." He paused for a few seconds, clearly uncomfortable about what he had to say. "Unfortunately, that's impossible right now."

Dia frowned. "But you said..."

"Dia, it's not that I don't want to teach you." Omen sounded markedly less angry, though his face still looked like a slab of granite. "It's just that we don't have the time right now. Last time you said I was like a shrink, and you're not wrong. The AMC is not that different from psychoanalysis. They both focus on self-exploration and self-understanding."

"Nope, it's a lot weirder than that. Shrinks don't usually poke you with a cattle prod." Dia joked, but her voice was strained. Facing her problems had never been her strong suit.

He gave her an oblique look. "What I'm trying to say is that this kind of thing takes years."

Dia looked crestfallen. "Years?

"Years." Omen repeated, deadpan. "It's a long road, Dia."

Dia stood motionless for several seconds, then cleared her throat. "So what are you suggesting?"

"It's unorthodox and potentially dangerous...but I think we should focus on your abilities. You have to find a way to use them consciously. Since the usual methods are too slow, a more...direct approach is required. "

A lump formed in her throat. "Omen..."

"Corporal." Omen gave her a severe look. "In a few days we'll reach Aegis IV and who knows what kind of trap Gibson has prepared for us. You must be ready."

He was right but his tone was vaguely patronizing and the first slow flickers of anger burned through her anxiety.

"What about Sarah?"

"She is making progress, but she needs time." He admitted. "Besides, the two problems are not related. Sarah can help you with the Spice, but your anger issues are a completely different thing."