21.

W I L L I A M

"Hello, William can you see us?"

I look at their feet on the screen and shake my head. "No, I only see your feet. You have to switch the camera."

"What'd he just say?" Mr. Tolbert whispers, but he's on speaker so I can hear him.

"Kevin he said to switch the camera." Mrs. Tolbert answers.

"How the hell am I supposed to do that?" I chuckle and wait for them to finish their disagreement. "You press the little cam-" The screen flips and their foreheads are in full view.

"Did it work?" Mr. Tolbert asks.

"Yes now pull the camera a little bit away from your face." They do as I say and then their full faces come into view. "Perfect"

"I can't keep up with the new gadgets these days, son" Mr. Tolbert shakes his head.

"It's okay, pops." I've been speaking to Emani's parents a lot lately. They contact me on a daily basis, every two weeks to be exact. I don't know if Emani is aware of it. It's nice when they call because I know it's because they genuinely care about how I'm doing. Also when Mr. Tolbert can't work his laptop or printer. Mr. Tolbert insisted that with our daily conversations I started calling him Pops and I kind of ran with it. To be on his good side of course.

"We just wanted to congratulate you on your victory in the primaries." Mrs. Tolbert says. "We'd knew you'd get it. I prayed every day for you."

All my parents gave me was a pat on the back and a hug, but this was more rewarding. "Thank you, Ma."

"Yeah, that's my boy." Mr. Tolbert adds which causes me to grin.

"How's our baby girl?" Mrs. Tolbert asks.

I scratch the back of my head. "She's doing alright."

"William, what's wrong?" Mrs. Tolbert can always tell when something is wrong with me. That woman can read minds I swear.

I purse my lips. I take a deep breath before getting the courage to ask. "How do I make her happy?" This has really been gnawing at my head lately and I don't know why. A few months ago I wouldn't have cared, but now all of a sudden I do.

The Tolberts share a look in between each other. I know that they weren't expecting that type of question.

"William sometimes you have to sacrifice a piece of your happiness to make her happy. You already know what you need to do to make her happy. All you need to do is just do that thing."

"Remember son," Mr. Tolbert says. "Happy Wife, happy life."

I nod my head. Happy Wife, Happy life. "Okay thanks pops, thanks Mama Tolbert. I have to get ready for the party tonight."

"Tell Emani we said he-." They say before hanging up on me.

I chuckle. "Bye," I place my phone down and finish getting ready. My parents thought to throw a dinner party at their house for my win in the primaries. I had no voice in the matter and was obligated to comply. The only reason they're throwing this party is to get all their elite friends together and convince them to elect me as Governor.

I tie my bow tie. Emani hinted that she was wearing black so my bow tie and tuxedo will match with her dress. It's been a week since we talked in my office. I haven't seen much of her due to our busy schedules. Emani has been trying to organize summer events for her center. I believe we're on leveled terms with no bad tension. Ever since the rally, I've seen Emani in a whole new light. She took me by surprise but it was more like I saw someone that I'd never seen before.