34.

W I L L I A M

Birthdays are arbitrary and meaningless. They are extracted as valuable as a way to fill human's desire for self-importance and individuality. They are exceedingly hyped up when it's just another ordinary day.

If I could stay home today I would. Sarah insisted that we'd do something different for my 30th. She sent me the address of this place, when I put it on Google Maps it gave me the directions to a sushi restaurant. I don't like Japanese, but Sarsh loves it. It's rare for when people are picking stuff out for others that they get it right. Because people choose with their interests in mind and fail to choose something because they don't put themselves in other people's shoes.

No matter how badlyI want to criticize everything, I'm trying my best to keep a positive outlook on today. I said my thank yous to everyone who wished me happy birthday, I held conversation and didn't sound dull over the phone with distant relatives, I haven't frowned all day in front of anyone. I can do this. I can keep up this facade for a few more hours. Then it'll all be over.

I've finally come to terms that my birthday never goes the way I want it to go. The excitement isn't there anymore. The front is just to keep the people close to me happy. It's out of respect to all the work they put into it. Well all the work they would've put it into if they hadn't made their assistants do it.

I check to make sure I have everything. I bring sunglasses just in case. I look around the empty house, it's been too quiet today. Emani hasn't made any presence today and there aren't any messages from her letting me know what she's been doing. She's also the only person who hasn't wished me a happy birthday yet. She couldn't have forgotten because she made a big fuss about it a few days ago.

Come to think about, I think that was one of the few times I've seen her. I've had dinner and breakfast by myself lately. I always make sure to leave a plate for Emani, in hopes she would come eat, but she'd never come. Later in the day I'd see the plate cleared of food and dishes put away, but I'd never see her. That's one of the things that's been adding to my irritability.

I look at the time and debate faking some immediate sickness to stay home. I grab my car keys and drive to the place Sarah gave me her address too. The drive is short and quick, apart from my speeding. I quickly walk in because I'm running late.

"Hi I'm here with a reservation, under Sarah." The hostess nods and walks for me to follow her. The restaurant is oddly empty for a Saturday evening. She stops in front of two big doors.

"Right through these doors, Mr. Harrington." She says before walking away. I open the door and it's pitch black. A shiver descends down my spine causing to me to freeze in my spot. There are other people in here.

"Sur—"

Oh no.

E M A N I

"Surprise!" Everyone screams and the lights turned on. His face is more expressionless as if he doesn't know how to properly respond to this situation so it looks like he's surprised.

"Oh wow, what?" I've been around William enough to know he's uncomfortable right now. He makes eye contact with me across the room and is bombarding me with a million questions with his eyes. I walk towards him, Out of nowhere, Sarah comes rushing and attacks him with a hug.

"Surprise Will!"

He gives his attention to her. "Thank you." I'm come right behind Sarah.

"Surprise hubby." I greet William with a kiss on the cheek. He blinks multiple times at me and coughs trying to hid his reddening face.

"Thank you." He says. "Did you plan all of this?"

I shake my head. "Nope, this was all Sarah. She knew how busy I was and decided to take the reigns on everything. This is all her."

William nods in understanding. "Thank you Sarah."

"No problem!" Sarah exclaims, drunk Sarah is a very happy one. "Come and greet all your guests." She drags William with her and William looks back at me for help. I give him thumbs up and William groans.

"Nicely done Ms. Tolbert." Phoenix says from behind me.

"The fun hasn't even started yet, but let's make Ms. Lightweight doesn't have too much to drink. I'm not carrying her ass home."

"Aye aye Captain." Phoenix follows the direction of Sarah and Will.

Phase 1 done.

♠️♠️♠️

I find William sitting alone in the lounge couches, overlooking everyone.

"This is some party right." I sit next to him. "Might just to be the birthday of the century." William ignores me and sips more of his drink. Sarah perks up and stands in front of us on the couch.

"Here's your birthday present." She hands him a small bag with tissue paper in it.

William reluctantly takes it. "Sar you didn't have to get me anything."

"I know." She shrugs. "But William you've done so much for me, it's the least I can do." Will pulls out a box out of the bag. He opens the box. I try over his shoulder to peak to see what it is.

He looks at Sarah then at me. "Oh my god, wow Sarah thank you." He shows me the box. It's a silver mens' heremes bracelet.

"Damn Sarah, my birthday is coming up too." Sarah giggles a litlle bit too much. She gives William a hug and walks, more sluggishly than normal, away. Will puts the box back in the bag.

"You're not gonna put it on?" William throws the straw and downs the rest of his drink in one gulp.

I hear a whistle and Phoenix walks past me with a wink. I look around for the Harringtons. I see them sitting at the bar and they both nod their heads.

I turn back to Will. "Do you wanna ditch this place so that I can give you my surprise?" William turns to me, finally acknowledging my presence, and happily nods his head. I get up and William follows me as we sneak out the back unoticed by anyone especially Sarah.

"Fuck I forgot my purse. Stay here" I run back inside ruining a perfect escape. I keep my head down and reach the couches we were just at. I see Sarah looking around wobbling this way shouting Will's name." I pat down the couches ans finally feel my purse.I stand up and get ready to dash out of here.

"Waitwaitwait" Sarah waves her hands infront of me. "Emani have you seen William?"

"No I don't know where he is, I was just getting ready to leave." I try to move but she steps in front of my path. "Is he lost?" Her eyes grow wide with concern. She shakes her head. "Emani I can't lose him. I can never lose him again. "

"Sarah what are you talking about?"

"He saved me Emani, I can't lose him." She leans onto me for support as she lays down onto the couch.

I roll my eyes and walk back to the bar. I find Phoenix and tap on his shoulders.

"Hey aren't you supposed to—"

"Sarah's passed out drunk on the couch makes sure she gets home safely and drinks lots of water." I turn back around before he can say anything and head towards the exit. What did she mean by he saved her? When did she lose him?