31.

E M A N I

We don't speak as we're eating breakfast. Our utensils click against the bowls and there's no other sound. I look around the kitchen at all the empty bottles. As soon as everyone left we went straight to bed. They sure did celebrate. It was unsettling seeing how much Mrs. Harrington petite body could down a whole bottle of rosé. I quietly drank while others loudly celebrated. I'm not even a quiet drunk but no so much of a peep came out of my mouth last night.

Will gets up and goes to put his plate in the dishwasher. I can't remember seeing much of Will at all last night either. This silence is bothering me for some reason, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the first one to speak.

"I can call Berta to have her clean this up." Shit, he said something. I look into his face and the first thing I notice is that he looks extremely tired.

"Do you want some coffee?" I ask.

"No I was gonna grab some on the way to work. Did you hear what I first say?"

I shake my head. "Yes, sorry. Don't call Berta I can clean all this up."

William purses his lips, thinking. "Emani, it's a lot."

"I can do it, it'll help clear my head." Oddly, cleaning and playing music is calming for me.

"Ok, I'm gonna go change and head to work." I nod my head. He looks at me as if he's waiting for something but keeps walking.

"I'm taking you out tonight." I blurt out right before he's almost out of the kitchen.

"What?"

"I'm gonna show you somewhere tonight. After work." He gives me a unbuying look. "Please it'll be good I promise. All you need to do is dress casual."

"Ok I'll pick you up from the center"

"I'm working from home today." Home. I'm working from here today, but I said home.

"Okay" He turns around and heads towards upstairs. I hope this is a good idea. Maybe it will help with last night. Oh shit—

I run up to catch up to him. "Congrats Will on the elections"

He stops at the first flight of stairs. "Thank you," He says barely. He continues walking but with a more depressed and slow stride in his step. I forgot to congratulate him.

♠️♠️♠️

W I L L I A M

Emani isn't in the kitchen anymore when I'm back downstairs. I debate whether or not saying goodbye to her. You always say goodbye, you can't leave on bad terms. Phoenix taught me that.

"Emani." I yell.

"Yeah?" She yells back. It sounded close though, she might've been walking towards her room.

"I'm leaving for work, I'll pick you up when I get back so be ready"

"Okay, be careful" I close the front door behind me. I turn on my car and wait for it to warm up. I take the time to turn off the do not disturb on my phone. Over 20 missed calls and 50 messages congratulating me. I never knew so many people had my number. A lot of missed facetime calls from Poppa Tolbert and Mama Tolbert. I dial Phoenix's number and put my car in drive.

"Yeah Phoenix," I say after seeing that he answered.

"Bro do you ever have your phone on?"

"You know it's on do not disturb when I go to bed," I say.