Prologue

Peace. They finally had peace after so many years of war. For many this was still a foreign thing they had to grow accustomed to. The young woman wasn't sure what her life would be like now that the war was over. She couldn't  really remember her life before the war started for her. Too much happened, too many friends died.

Now, only months later she was riding the train back home. Home... She would have never thought that she would be calling her school home. Yes, she loved school and learning, doing assignments but still, even she was not that obsessed with school even though she had always been called the brightest witch of her age or an insufferable know- it- all. Still, she felt like that. She thought of Hogwarts as her home. One could understand Harry thinking like that as he never really got to know his parents and grew up with his aunt and uncle who did not treat him right. He definitely wasn't a boy who was loved the most as he grew up but despite that or even because of that he was one of the most loving people she knew. She was a bit luckier, her parents loved her and cared for her.

They were alive, yes, but they didn't remember ever having had a daughter named Hermione Granger and maybe that was the reason why going back to Hogwarts felt like coming home to the former bushy- haired witch. At Hogwarts she lived with her friends and some she did consider family.
The young woman would have loved to tell her parents that she was named head girl this year. She would have loved to see their proud faces.

"Hermione" a quiet voice rang through to her.
"Hermione." this time it was louder.
"Hermione!" now the voice was shouting and the young woman finally acknowledged the voice trying to talk to her.

"Yes? What is it?" she asked confused.

"Hey, did you even hear what we were talking about?" asked the black-haired man seated across from her.

"I'm sorry, Harry...",  mumbled Hermione a bit embarrassed.

"We will arrive in a few minutes and I believe Miss Head girl should be getting dressed in her uniform as you don't want to be a bad influence on the children I trust."

The man chuckled at his best friend whilst his girlfriend giggled sitting next to him. At that Hermione took her uniform and went changing into it for the last time at the beginning of a new school year at Hogwarts. She was quite a bit saddened at this. This was to be the last train ride to Hogwarts with her friends.

When changing, she noticed that there were a few things different with her attire. They were instructed to wear plain black ties instead of her usual red and gold tie. Adding to that her Gryffindor house crest was missing on her chest. In its spot the Hogwarts crest is now clearly visible. There is no sign that the young woman once was a proud Gryffindor. Thinking about this made the brown- haired witch rather curious. After changing, she went back to her friends' compartment. Once she arrived the train already started to slow down and the four of them were getting ready to leave this train for their last year of school.

Once they finally got outside, they greeted Hagrid who was eagerly awaiting the first years' arrival. They quickly snatched themselves a carriage on their own before having to walk up to the castle.

"So these are Thestrals." said Ginny.

"We really used them to get to the Ministry? Bloody hell, we were so reckless," said Ron upon catching a glimpse of the creatures.

The ride up to the castle and the sorting ceremony went faster than they could say "Quidditch" and now Minerva McGonagall took her place and began to hold her speech.

"Now that everyone is sorted I don't want you to have to wait too long before you get your nourishment, but there are a few things that I have to address. As a reminder, the forest is not to be ventured into and beware of the stairs. Now then, I'd like those who returned for their seventh year to come to my office directly after the meal has commenced.
There are a few things you need to be aware of. And now I wish you all a very successful and peaceful year of learning and education."

The students clapped politely before the food appeared on the tables and everyone started eating. Ron was the first to grab himself some chicken: how could it have been any different?

"Harry, do you, by chance, know who will be teaching potions this year?" asked Hermione.

He just looked at her none the wiser and answered: "No, but there is one professor missing. Maybe he or she just hasn't arrived yet? I just hope that McGonagall found someone competent to teach potions. I mean, she will never find someone as competent as Snape but maybe someone a bit nicer." 

He grinned at her as she took a bite of her steak.

Once the plates had vanished, they all made their way up to McGonagall's office.