Chapter 34

Severus sat there staring into the flames as the minutes and hours passed. The evening turned into night and as the full moon was at its highest, Hermione stepped out of her room and into the small hallway. 

She walked into the kitchen, getting herself a glass of water and on her way back to her room she saw Severus still sitting in the living room just like four hours ago when she left him in favour of going to bed. Reluctantly and very softly she walked into the room careful as to not disturb him. She was barely two steps in when he said: "You needn't stand outside, you know? These are your chambers as much as mine."

His tone was emotionless to Hermione, but she was unaware of the turmoil that was going on inside him.

She walked up to the couch and hesitantly sat down next to him, noticing he hadn't moved one bit. When he was not in any way responding to her presence and her looking at him, she just turned and stared into the flames just as he was. The two of them fell into a comfortable silence as the flames slowly subsided and left only the still gleaming embers in the hearth

Severus stood up roughly an hour later in favour of using the loo. When he came back, he saw that Hermione lay there on the couch fast asleep in nothing more than her pyjama bottoms and a tank top. He warred with himself on what to do, whether to just cover her with a blanket or carry her to her own bed. He then decided that it would be better for her to sleep in her own bed, and so he carefully swept her into his arms and carried her to her room.

Once there, he gently laid her down trying not to wake her up. Once he managed that, he covered her with her duvet and kissed her on her forehead as lightly as a feather, knowing that this was as close as he could get to her. He looked down at her sleeping form, feeling as though the world and everyone were just trying to get back at him. Why did he always love the women he couldn't have?

Trying not to dwell on that, he turned and walked to his own bedroom to retire for what little remained of the night careful not to wake the peacefully sleeping children up.

++++++++

The next morning came way too soon for Severus. He knew that it was solely his own fault, but he was grumpy nonetheless.

Hermione woke up feeling quite confused, recalling having been seated next to Severus on the couch late last night, but not how she got into her own bed. Only half awake she got up and went into the bathroom taking a shower and then dressing herself just in time to go to breakfast with a still grumpy Severus and the children who were already very excited for their next lesson with their 'Aunt Minnie' which amused Hermione to a great deal.

They were greeted by a very pleased looking headmistress upon entering the great hall.

"I see you managed not to drink too much because of your victory in court yesterday." 

The elderly witch smirked.

"And why would we do that, if I may ask?" Severus clearly wasn't pleased with his boss' greeting given his already grumpy mood.

"I never worried about either you or Hermione overdoing it with the alcohol of your own free will, but I know Lucius. He was my student and I can vividly recall his days at Hogwarts when he, as a prefect, threw parties in your Slytherin common rooms and Slughorn was just too lazy to do anything about it. I also recall a certain black-haired Slytherin some years younger than him whom I found sitting in the corridor a bit more than slightly drunk when he came back to see his fiancé who was just one year older than you. I thought that he might have succeeded in persuading you to one drink and then another."

"What makes you think that he'd still influence me as much as he did back then? I was trying to fit in with them, even if it was through alcohol. You know I never wanted to drink any at all, and you know the reason for that. Furthermore, you should know that I never drink more than one."

The headmistress smiled sadly at him before turning her attention towards her full breakfast plate.

Severus quickly followed suit, but only after drinking a cup of coffee to help him get rid of his grumpiness due to lack of sleep.

"Severus, a second, please," requested Madam Pomfrey when he was about to stand and leave the great hall. He turned around to face the smaller woman motioning for Hermione to wait up for him.

"Yes, Poppy?"

"Your mother will be released today. I think there are some things you two need to talk about." 

With that, the grey-haired woman left him standing there not giving him the chance to talk back.

His mood, which was slightly better after some much-needed coffee, got worse again. He really had no desire of talking to the woman who claimed to be his long-deceased mother.

+++

"Bad news?" asked Hermione upon noticing his dark expression.

He nodded curtly leading her down into the dungeons. The children stayed in the great hall to go with Minerva once the breakfast was over.

"I need you to do the lessons today. Poppy wants me to talk to Madam Pince as she is being released today." His baritone drawl sounded completely bored and emotionless, but Hermione got to know him enough to notice that this was just a façade.

"Sure, I'll have the third years brew some basic potions and I know that you prepared a test for the fifth and sixth years. It should not be a problem at all," replied Hermione feeling way more confident after her first lessons went that well.

"I know that you can do it just as well as me and I want you to know that I am quite proud of you, which is something I can't say for many of my students." He treated her to a small smile she had by now nearly grown accustomed to and yet it was just as beautiful and foreign to see as all the times before. Together they descended the many flights of stairs.

In Severus' office, he handed her his prepared tests before bidding her goodbye and making his way up to the third floor where he knew he was to meet the librarian.

Hermione meanwhile went into the potions classroom to prepare everything for the third years to brew their potions. She threw away all the ingredients that were overdue and prepared the working stations for the partners who would have to work together as not all the ingredients were being used beforehand. Not long after that, the bell rang and she opened the door to let the students in, who were quite surprised to see her and not the dour potions master of the dungeons.