Chapter 49

"Severus, before I forget it, please spare the students the melodramatic speech you always seem to deliver. Students don't really find it encouraging to hear their teacher speak dark words with such a passion," said Hermione who was ready to leave him to his own devices in favour of going to her new office to prepare her first lesson of potions with the Gryffindor and Slytherin first-years.

"What are you talking about? Me? Being melodramatic? Never. I just tell them what to expect, nothing more," said Severus - and Hermione was not sure whether he was actually joking or not.

"Whatever, Severus. Just don't overdo it and remember not to scare the students too much, okay?" asked Hermione, winking at him before walking out the door.

Her first day as a full-time professor and head of house was over in the blink of an eye or so it seemed like to Hermione.

After dinner that evening, she sat on the couch reading with Severus sitting next to her. 

"I can't believe that it has been nearly a year since that accident. My whole life has changed since then and things that were never up to discussion are nearly forgotten now," said Hermione, breaking the comfortable silence between them. 

"I know. I do think that my views on things have also changed and not only because I had to live in a toddler's body." 

Hermione could hear the smirk in his voice, and she had to laugh at that. 

"Come, you have to admit that it was nice not having to do anything by yourself, Severus, wasn't it?" 

He did not answer to that which only affirmed her assumption. 

"You know, there is no need to deny it, I know you too well to think different," laughed Hermione sitting up from her lying position next to Severus. 

"I haven't said anything. Where are you going, dear?"

"To the bedroom?" replied Hermione who thought that it was pretty obvious where she was going.

"And why would you go there?"

"To get some sleep?" said Hermione, who was actually quite tired. 

"Well, I guess it is time to retire, anyway," answered Severus, standing up to follow her to the bedroom.

+++++++

"Where's Minerva?" whispered Hermione a few weeks later during breakfast in the Great Hall.

Severus looked at her, seemingly as clueless as her.

"I have no idea, maybe she is just not feeling well?"

"I'll go and check in with her right after breakfast, there's enough time until the first period," answered Hermione who was quite concerned.

Her partner nodded at that and soon the breakfast was over so that Hermione could make her way up to her boss' office.

+++++

She didn't wait for the headmistress to respond, but instead, she knocked and went straight in.

The big office was dark and silent and Hermione couldn't help but feel reminded of what happened roughly a year ago.

"Hello? Professor?"

There was no answer, and so she walked further into the room.

When she reached the big desk filled with parchments and quills she stopped to listen carefully.

Somewhere she heard a muffled sniffling sound.

"Professor? Are you here?" asked Hermione again.

"Yes, wait for a second, I'll be there for you in just a second," answered a voice from the dark followed by a shuffling sound in turn followed by steps walking towards her.

"Hermione, how can I help you?"

"The question is how can I help you?" retorted Hermione looking her former head of house over.

"I- you can't," sighed the elder women sinking down in her armchair.

"It's that day again, isn't it?"

The headmistress nodded and took an old-looking piece of parchment in her hands.

"This was the first letter Dougal ever sent me. We were only teens, but it meant the world to me back then. We often wrote each other letters and I kept them for years. When Elphinstone and I moved to Hogsmeade I threw them all away. I went back there yesterday and found it in a box that contained old books and photos I thought I had thrown away. It seems that Elphinstone kept the things he knew meant a great deal to me. I guess I just needed a day to come to terms with all of it, but I really do feel different now. It is as if something I've been carrying with me for decades has finally vanished, for good this time," explained the Scottish witch.

"It sounds to me as though he really loved you, Elphinstone, I mean. He knew you still loved Dougal and regretted many things, and yet he loved you enough to keep these things," said Hermione in return, smiling at her boss.

There was a comfortable silence between the two women for a while only disturbed by the bell signalling that Hermione had five minutes to get to her classroom.

On her way out Hermione heard her former professor call out for her: "You know, I can't help but see certain parallels between Elphinstone and you but there is still so much hope for you while his hope was wasted. Please, don't waste yours and pursue your dreams."

Hermione nodded, understanding what Professor McGonagall was referring to before leaving the office.

+++++++

At the end of the week, Hermione was pretty exhausted and was taking a break from correcting essays, waiting for Severus to finally come in. She sat on the couch feeling quite fatigued and fell asleep not long after that.

It was rather late that night when someone picked her up from her half-sitting, half-lying position on the couch and brought her to bed.

When she sleepily opened her eyes she saw that it was Severus, and so she asked: "Where have you been? I've been waiting for hours for you to finally come home."

"Not now, Hermione. It's time to sleep now," was his hushed answer, and she fell back asleep not long after that, not having the chance to think about his avoiding answer.