Chapter 39

The next morning came soon, but Hermione had to say that she had not slept that well since the war had begun.

She turned around where Severus lay facing her, his dark eyes fixed on her.

"Good morning, dear," greeted the black-haired man with his low voice that was sort of raspy this morning.

"Good morning to you, too. What time is it?" asked Hermione stretching her arms out.

"You got thirty minutes left until breakfast. I think I have to wake the two up, too, although I know they would much rather sleep in," laughed Severus, getting out of bed after kissing Hermione briefly.

The young woman smiled to herself as he went, thinking of just how different Severus was compared to the man who taught her for years and who was feared by almost everyone.

She got out of bed and began to ready herself for the day when Severus came back.

"I think things will definitely change from now on."

Hermione looked at him rather baffled.

"What do you mean by that?"

"They are themselves again, we won't be needed any more, Hermione."

The young woman had known for a while that this day would come - soon at that - but she had hoped it would still be some time they could spend with them until that day came. She couldn't say that she was surprised. 

Overall, she felt a mix of sadness, relief, happiness, loneliness. The truth is, she didn't really know how she felt. She felt as if something had been robbed from her, but something else she missed had been given back to her at the same time.

"Are you sure, Severus?"

"Definitely. They recall everything from before their time with us. All we need to do now is sending them to Poppy to really be sure, that's all."

Hermione thought she saw sadness in his dark eyes, and it comforted her to see that he felt similar.

"Right. Shall we go to breakfast?"

He nodded in reply, leaving the room before her and holding open the door.

++++

Hermione sat down next to Severus at the head table again, waiting for Neville and the others to arrive. She was curious whether Pansy and Blaise were back to normal as well, just like Harry and Draco.

"You seem a bit down, Hermione. What is wrong?" asked the headmistress just loud enough for Hermione to understand her.

"Oh, it's - it's just that Harry and Draco are back to normal and I already miss living with them even though they haven't even moved out yet."

"You should let Severus do his lessons today and come to my office for a nice cup of tea. Just to get away from the stressful school stuff momentarily, you know?"

Minerva had a twinkle in her eye when she looked at the young witch next to her. It reminded Hermione very much of the late headmaster. She nodded just when the bell rang and indicated that lessons would commence in ten minutes.

"Severus, do you mind teaching today? Minerva has invited me for a cup of tea and some stress relief talking."

The older man turned to face her before answering.

"That's alright, I think you have more than earned yourself a day off teaching," smiled Severus before standing up.

"And Severus," said Hermione when he was leaving, causing him to turn around again, "try not to scare them too hard. I know you and your teaching methods. Remember, they're surely used to my way of teaching by now," winked Hermione, making him smile slightly.

"What if I plan on changing at least some things in the way I teach after seeing you getting my students ever so slightly interested in the exact art that is potion-making?"

Hermione laughed as he walked away, his trademark cloak billowing behind him.

"Come, Hermione, I have four free periods. Poppy is going to check Harry and the others in the meantime, just to make sure that everything is back to normal now," said the headmistress, standing from her seated position in the middle of the big head table.

Hermione stood and followed her former head of house into the big office.

+++++

"Miss Granger, how grand to see you. Congratulations are in order if I am well-informed?" The late headmaster's eyes twinkled down from his portrait.

"Professor Dumbledore, sir. It's been a while, hasn't it? Always busy manipulating other portraits I take it?" smirked Hermione while walking towards the plush chair in front of the big oak wood desk.

"You have been around Severus quite a bit, Miss Granger. I'm not sure whether I like this turn of events or not," joked Albus Dumbledore before leaving his portrait.

"Congratulations are in order? What does he mean?" asked a rather confused yet amused Minerva after conjuring some tea for the two of them.

"Oh, that. Yes, well. Severus arranged for a ministry worker to observe my teaching, and they awarded me with my title as potions mistress just yesterday in the evening."

"Oh, really! That's wonderful, congratulations. What are your plans, my dear? I mean, now that you are a potions mistress."

The elderly Scottish witch smiled warmly, trailing off and looking the younger witch over.

"Oh, I thought that maybe I could teach potions while Severus takes over Defense? I mean, he's well qualified for it and all."

"That is an excellent idea, Hermione, but is he willing to give up his old post?" Asked Minerva quite sceptical.

"He is, we already spoke about it," answered Hermione taking a sip of her tea.

"Alright, if you are sure. Any other plans for the future?"

"Well, not really. I think Severus and I will probably split up the classes so that the both of us are occupied until next school year. Other than that, probably nothing much," shrugged the young brunette witch.

"I see-"

The headmistress was interrupted by her fireplace lighting up.

The medi-witch of Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry stepped through looking quite pleased.

"Ah, Miss Granger, you're here, too. Anyway, I just came here to tell you that all the eighth years are back to normal. All of them are healthy without any memory losses or anything like that. I'd say you give them until term starts again to adjust to their normal lives again. It's nearly Christmas after all."

Minerva nodded her head slowly before agreeing: "I think you're right, Poppy. Thank you very much," after which the elderly medi-witch turned and left in favour of returning to her hospital wing.