Chapter 47

"Hermione, I need to speak to you," said Severus, who was currently sitting in his armchair.

"Well, you already are, Severus," replied Hermione, unsure what he was going for.

"Hermione, it's kind of urgent. I have waited long enough with this."

The young woman was slightly alarmed by his serious tone and sat up straighter.

"Now, well. I've been meaning to talk about this with you for a while now but there never was as good an opportunity as this. I wanted to ask you what you think this between us is. Please don't get me wrong, I just would like to have a bit of certainty."

Hermione had expected literally anything but this. She thought that he would be the last person to want to put a label on things. They had talked about it but never really labelled their relationship.

After a little thought, she decided to play things safe and said: "I honestly have no idea, Severus. I mean, we get along just fine, and I love living with you. However, there are days when I think that I am nothing more than the little thirteen-year-old insufferable know-it-all you told me to be to you, while on other days I feel cherished and even loved. I mean, we had sex and well... I would take everything you would be willing to give and if that is just friendship, I would gladly accept but please, don't say you love me and then act like I am some first-year student who didn't hand in her assignment."

"And what if it is more I could offer? I mean, I can not promise you the world or life in absolute wealth without any fears or doubts, but I can promise you to be the only one. I can promise to love you the best I can, although it may not be much. I have never loved many, and I may have made mistakes when it comes to love, but I never fully regretted it and I hope that I never will."

Hermione was gobsmacked. She would have never thought that this would be his answer. She herself had been thinking about this issue quite a bit over the last few weeks or even months. It took her some time to admit to herself that she had feelings for him that went beyond those of a friendship, and she was not really happy with how things turned out. She had nearly given up on her hopes of ever getting him to at least see that she felt things for him. She would never ask him to reciprocate, just to acknowledge.

"The fact that you loved, were disappointed and still go with your head held high shows that you are one of the most loving people in the world and that you deserve to receive more love than anyone could ever give you," said Hermione, putting her hand over his.

"It took me a while to admit that I had developed feelings for you, but I do. I do have feelings for you and I have been wanting to tell you for a while now. There was just never a good opportunity. I love you," admitted Hermione looking him in the eyes.

Severus was caught off guard by her last three words. He would have never guessed her feeling were this strong even though they had ended up in bed together once before.

"Since when?" was all he could say.

"I think it was when you held me after my nightmares, when you listened without judging me when I told you of my past. Or maybe it was when I saw the man you are under the exterior of the spy and potions professor. I'm not sure, but I've known for sure that I love you since New Year's Day, before the night we didn't get any sleep, for your information," answered Hermione truthfully, emphasizing the word 'before'.

She really didn't know the exact date when she felt more than friendship for him, but she knew since when she was sure that it was indeed love that she felt.

"How could anyone ever deserve you?  And more specifically, how do I deserve you?" asked the black-haired man looking her over with his big dark eyes.

"You deserve everything and more but all I can give you is my love."

Hermione locked eyes with him. She wanted him to know that she was telling the truth, that she meant everything she had said.

"And yet that is all I could ever ask for. Hermione, do you want to be my friend, my partner in crime, my girlfriend?"

Hermione would have never thought that she would hear Severus Snape asking someone to be his girlfriend, and yet she found herself on the receiving end of this question. Under other circumstances, it might have sounded funny hearing him talk like that but right now it was nothing but romantic to her.

She nodded and said: "I would love that, Severus."

He smiled at her and stood up walking over towards her to sit down to her left-hand side.

"I have never said this to anyone before directly, even though I might have felt it at some point. I love you, Hermione. And I promise to cherish you and try to make you feel all the love I have for you. I will be there for you whenever you need me."

"The same goes for you. I promise I won't ever let you down."

Instead of answering, Severus leant in and kissed her on the lips.

His kiss ignited a fire in her that could easily rival the one that was crackling in the fireplace even though it was just a small kiss, nothing wild.

As soon as it started, it was over, and they looked into the eyes of each other.

"Wow, we've talked for quite a while it seems, it's already half past one in the morning," remarked Severus after looking at the clock hanging on his wall.

"We should probably head to bed then. Where shall I sleep?"

"Come with me, my bedroom is big enough and like I said, I wouldn't want you to have to sleep in the room where Pettigrew stayed."

He reached for her hand and helped her up from his couch then leading her up the stairs to the bedroom.