Chapter 1

Once Minerva McGonagall entered her office, she found everyone already assembled there. The students were quietly talking about what this all was about and the teachers were indulging in diverse conversations about different topics. However, each of those conversations died down when they acknowledged the fact that the headmistress had arrived. She stepped up to her desk just as the doors opened again.

In came a shallow pale male all clad in black. Everyone was shocked about his being there. Well, everyone but the headmistress. He went to the headmistress greeting her as she smiled upon his arrival.

"Severus, it's so nice that you could join us. I hope you can forgive me for calling you upon notice this short. I wanted to find someone suitable who would do your competence justice, but I wasn't able in that short amount of time. I thought you might need more time for your recovery, but I hope you can forgive an old witch just this once?"

He nodded curtly at her as the other professors slowly came to acknowledge the fact that he indeed was there standing and talking and most definitely not as dead as they initially believed.

He started speaking with his characteristically deep voice, and although he wasn't even trying to be loud it boomed throughout the office.

"I forgive you just this once, Minerva", he joked, shocking everyone again.

"If I weren't well enough I would have declined anyway. However, I think that there is one person who could have easily done the job, even without any apprenticeship or anything like that for that matter. This person may still be a bit young, but she could do it. Now, that being said I doubt that you called us here just for a round of small talk," he answered smiling, not his usual smirk with an arched eyebrow, no.

This time it was a genuine smile, one that was not often gracing his features as long as many could remember. He turned and went to stand next to his colleagues.

He let his gaze wander over the many faces in this room. He quickly overlooked his colleagues: 'Nothing new here. I had hoped that she finally found someone not that annoying to teach divination. As it seems I will have to watch out for Trelawney in case she wants to slip me any more badly brewed love potions talking about how we are destined to be together.' he thought letting his gaze go further overlooking the few students who returned.

'Oh great, Potter. I had hoped that I would be rid of him. I just hope he didn't tell everyone about those memories. Now, we have Zabini over there. At least one student who doesn't annoy me to no end. And why is Parkinson here again? Longbottom, the witless wonder is standing right next to Weasley. The only one missing would be Granger. Ah, there she is and here I was hoping to finally have a quiet year just this once but with those three united that won't be happening. She should see her face right now, it's priceless. Then there's Greengrass and that baby peacock I call my godson. Well, at least there's only 8 of them. Only Gryffindors and Slytherins here, that could be interesting.'

Professor McGonagall waited until everyone paid her attention before she began speaking with her Scottish accent thick in her voice.

"This year will be an extraordinary one. I am glad that all the teachers chose to return here after the war despite the many injuries they got and the losses they had to mourn. For that, I am very grateful. I'm pleased to see so many familiar faces here. I'm sure that the war has left its marks inside us, it changed many of us and of that I'm sure. That's why I decided to unite your houses. I believe that it is time for you all to start new without any house rivalries or prejudices standing in the way. You have your own common room and by that, you theoretically have your own house. You no longer belong to your former house, and therefore you can't lose points."

She sent a sharp look in the potions master's direction he seemingly ignored.

"The only punishment you can get is either detention or being expelled. The teachers responsible for you will be Professor Snape and me."

The black-clad man just gave a disapproving grunt as he heard that, his face as Stoic as ever.

"Furthermore I appointed Miss Hermione Granger as Head Girl and Mister Draco Malfoy as Head Boy. Now, please follow Professor Snape, he will show you your dorms." 

The teachers stayed behind as Snape led the small group of students into the dungeons after Minerva told him their whereabouts.

The Professor stopped walking near the potions classroom in front of a picture of the school.

"To enter your dorm you have to touch the shrieking shack and say the password. It's 'Friendship' So only people who know your password and the action needed can enter your rooms."

The portrait swung to the side and the professor held the door open to enter the room as the last person.

On the far wall to their right, there was a fireplace with a fire already crackling, heating the rather chilly dungeon room. There were sofas and armchairs placed in front of it. The walls were painted in reds and greens and the carpets were golden or silver. All in all this common room had a perfect balance between the house colours of Gryffindor and Slytherin which usually don't really match. Still, it gave this room a rather homey feel.

"Mister Potter, Mister Zabini, your room is on the first floor on the right-hand side. Mister Longbottom, you'll share a room with Mister Weasley. Your room is above Mister Potter's and Mister Zabini's. Miss Greengrass, you and Miss Parkinson share the room opposite Misters Potter and Zabini on the left-hand side, first floor. Mister Malfoy, your room is on the right-hand side on the third floor and Miss Granger's room is on the left side on the same floor. The room on the left on the second floor is free to use for all of you. You will get your first timetable in the coming morning during breakfast. I wish you all a good night."

He nodded curtly at them before turning on his heel and walking out of the room with his robes billowing behind him.

The students all decided to use their first evening back for unpacking and settling into their assigned rooms. Hermione started with unpacking her books which went over rather fast. After that, she pulled out her wand and conjured some bookshelves starting to organize her books in them. She had only finished putting her schoolbooks on one shelf when there was a knock at her door. Curious as to who it was she laid her pile of books next to the others on her bed and went to answer the door.

There in the small hall stood none other than Draco Malfoy. She never in a million years would have thought that he'd come to her willingly and so fast. He scratched the back of his neck clearing his throat as he was clearly uncomfortable.

"Uhm, Hermione. I was wondering whether I could come in to talk to you?"

Hermione was really shocked at his sheepish tone and rather polite demeanour towards her even calling her Hermione and not Granger.

Speechless she stepped aside so that he could enter her rooms. It was now that he was in her rooms that she could speak again.

"Please ignore the mess, I'm not finished with putting everything away as I prefer to do it by hand."

He smiled an honest smile at her saying: "Don't worry, my room is looking worse at the moment."

He winked at her as she just conjured a chair for him. She sat down on her bed. "Now, what is it you wanted to talk about?"

"Well, it's just..."