Chapter 11 I swear

"So, my mom organised this big fancy family dinner and invited my whole family , cousins , grandma's the whole kit and caboodle . It's stupid really ."

I listend to Nick go on about his extended family coming over this weekend while I watched him lie on his bed, throwing a basketball up in the air , catching it and repeating . I've learned that's what he does when he's either bored or thinking and by the look on his face, my guess would be he's  thinking .

"Yeah ...?"

He sat up and looked at me with a nervous expression as he fiddled with the basketball in his lap , spinning it slowly with his fingers.

"So um ... the reason they're all here is ... um ... you know what, forget that I mentioned anything. "

"No , you can tell me . You should know that by now ."

I took his hands in mine and gave him a reassuring smile. He took a deep breath ,

"My mom , kind of wants them to meet you ..."

He trailed off . Really ? This is what he was so nervous about ? Me meeting his family ?

"Of course I would . I mean why would I have a problem with that ? Nick, sweetheart, you worry too much . Stop overthinking things . What day ?"

He let out a relieved sigh as a big smile spread across his face, showing off his perfect , straight teeth. I loved his smile so much , mostly because mine wasn't that great . To be completely honest mine's the opposite . Okay it's not that bad , but my two front teeth are a bit skew , but not too much to notice , just I do . But still , his is perfect .

"Um, around Saturday at 2 ?"

"Saturday? Nick , today's Thursday! That doesn't give me enough time ! "

I saw how his face fell by my outburst but how can I prepare to meet my boyfriend's family in two days ? I need to repaint my nails , they're all chipped , find a suitable yet cute outfit, cancel my babysitting plans for saturday and the list goes on . It's not like I can wave a magic wand and magically have my day free and be ready . It takes a lot of preparation you know ?

"But I guess I can figure something out . Don't worry about it . I'll see you Saturday at 2 "

He gave me a hug as he went downstairs to inform his mother .

*****

It's Saturday and it's 13:30 , I'm about half way ready. I just got out of the shower and dried my hair . I don't really know what one's supposed to wear to "meet the family" but I settled on a light , flowy floral summer dress with my gladiator sandles. I braided my hair in two braids and did some light makeup .

As I approached the Clarke household I could see their whole driveway filled with cars from all around the country, and Nick sitting on his porch swing waiting for me . I smiled as I approached him as he did the same , getting up and greeting me with a hug .

I took a deep breath bracing myself for what's to come as he turned the door knob revealing a population explosion in their house . There were woman with babies , toddlers running around , teens lounging on the couch , older men drinking a beer by the pool, grandma's knitting, grandpa's sleeping in a recliner. It's every age group under one roof .

The first to approach us was a older woman , probably his grandma.

"Grandma Dotty this is my girlfriend Maddie , Maddie this is my Grandma Dotty . She's my favourite but don't tell Grandma Rita ." He said with a chuckle as I awkwardly hugged the elderly woman .

"Nice to meet you Darling. My how beautiful you are . You best take good care my little Nicholas "

"Grandma !"

"No it's fine , I'll be sure to take good care of him ma'am "

She just smiled as she walked back to her spot . We walked further through the house meeting several other people.

I met his uncle Jim  the carpenter and his wife Cheryl and their baby boy, Levi . His Aunt Delilah,single mom of his counsins Emma and Tony ( they're twins) . Grandma Rita (who's actully very nice) . And all of his other uncles and cousins . There were so many people in this house it was hard to keep track of who've I've met yet .

He told me I've met everyone except his Cousin James . He came a bit late so we are now searching through the crowd of people for him . And to be honest I don't even know who I'm looking for . Nick says he has messy blonde hair and bright eyes, like that's any indication.(pic above) Half of the people in this room looks like that !

Eventually I think we found him . And let me tell you , the temperature got hot in here ! We awkwardly shook hands as sparks flew up my arm . I think the same happend to him because he pulled away too , rubbing his arm.

He smiled sheepishly and blushed a pink shade .

"Okay... um I'm going to go find us a seat . Can you bring our cocoa when it's done ?"

"Yeah sure ."

I watched Nick leave as I turned back to the mugs finishing our cocoa , when the presence of someone next to me breaks me away .

It's James .

He handed me the mugs from the top shelf as he helped me finish up.

"Have we met before ?" He asked out of the blue

"Um, no I don't think so why ?"

"I don't know , I just feel this connection towards you . And I swear I had a dream about you? "

"A dream , really ? You're using that pickup line ?"

"What ? No , really . I swear . I dreamt I was at a wedding and I was the groom . My bride was waiting out front for me and was oddly enough wearing a purple wedding dress. Weird I know . I remember her running out into the rain and me following her . But before I woke up I saw a glimpse of her face . And I could've sworn it , it was you ..."

Cliffhanger? I don't know I'm trying to create a cliffhanger . Don't know if I succeeded only you , my readers can be the judge of that. But what did you think ? Is he telling the truth ?  Let me know your thoughts in the comment section ❤❤