#9 Remus~Teaching and Sweets

You listen to your heels echo through the hallway. Almost immediately after graduating, you were hired as the new muggle studies professor. You were thrilled. Having been raised in a muggle family, you knew quite a bit about the subject, giving you an advantage while in school.

By now, you were used to only having a few students, and having others dislike you for your claim that magic was not necessary. Other teachers often believed your job required minimal qualifications and barely thought of you as a real professor, but you didn't mind. You were teaching what you loved, and if you happened to upset a few people while doing so, so be it.

You still had a few days before classes started, but you insisted on arriving early to prepare your classroom. You walk into the castle, wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, expecting to be alone for the day. As you climb the familiar staircases to your classroom, you see Professor McGonagall.

"Ah! Professor (L/N)! Pleasure to see you again," she greets, coming over to you.

You give her a quick hug before responding, "If I had known you would be here, I would have dressed a bit nicer."

She chuckles. "Oh, I'm just passing through, getting things ready for our new defense against the dark arts professor, Remus Lupin. I believe he was only a few years ahead of you."

"I look forward to seeing him again." You never knew Remus personally, but you certainly knew of him and his friends. "Well, if you don't mind professor, I have a lot to prepare for. This may be my largest class."

She smiles. "Good. I'll let you go."

~~~

You take your place at the High Table next to Hagrid, who greets you with a smile as the first years enter the Great Hall. As Professor McGonagall gives her beginning of the year speech, you feel someone touch your shoulder.

"Excuse me," someone whispers. "Can I sit there?"

"Oh, of course." You scoot your chair in enough to let the man pass through.

When the unfamiliar face sits next to you, you stick out your hand. "(Y/N) (L/N). Muggle Studies."

You see him mutter your name, probably because it sounds familiar. "Remus Lupin. Defense Against the Dark Arts."

"It's a pleasure to work with you. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

"Actually, I'd love if you could tell me who I need to watch out for. The troublesome students, I mean."

You begin pointing to certain tables. "Weasley twins, bright red hair, good hearts, dumb brains." Remus chuckles a bit before letting you continue. "Potter seems to attract trouble, as do his friends, but I have yet to have him or his friends in my class. And then there's Draco Malfoy. I'm not sure if you remember Lucius, but well, enough said."

"That's how I know you! I knew your name sounded familiar!"

You laugh at his outburst. "McGonagall mentioned that you would be teaching this year. I have to admit, I never saw you, nor anyone in your group, coming back here."

"That's not fair. You never talked to us. I only recognized you because we were housemates."

"And, I recognized you through your countless parties and pranks."

"Well, I do hope that I can change your impression of me before the year is over."

"I do too."

~~~

It wasn't long before your image of Remus Lupin was completely shattered. You watched how kind he was to each student while continuing to challenge them.

A group of third years bursts into your class almost ten minutes late. Without looking up from your blackboard, you say, "Mr. Malfoy, I trust you and your friends have a good expectation. If not, I'm giving you until detention today to come up with one. Wands away. All of you."

"But, Professor (L/N), Professor Lupin-"

"I don't care what Professor Lupin did. If you keep arguing with me, I will take away ten points from Slytherin. Five for being late, five for arguing, which would be quite generous of me."

The group huffs and takes their seats in the back of the class, allowing you to continue with your lesson.

~~~

You sit at your desk, trying to ignore the commotion in the hallway. You made your students handwrite everything, so you felt that it was only fair for you to take the time to hand grade their essays. Unfortunately, that meant you had to stay inside instead of going to Honeydukes to grab enough sweets to get you through the week.

"What are you still doing inside?" a familiar voice asks, pushing open your door. "I thought Sprout was staying with the kids this weekend."

You look up briefly before returning to your work. "Oh, hi, Remus. I still have a few essays to grade, and I left all the 'I-don't-care-this-class-isn't-important' essays to the end."

He sits in front of your desk. "How many more do you have left?"

You quickly go through your stack. "Four. Malfoy and his friends and Jordan, though I'm almost done with his." You turn to the last page, which is mostly empty, and begin writing your comments. "Okay, three."

Remus smiles. "Well, since you don't have much left, would you like the head to Hogsmeade with me." He nervously plays with his hands. "I mean if you have time. I understand that you-"

"I would love to, Remus," you respond, putting the paper back on your desk.

~~~

You and Remus immediately run to Honeydukes, only leaving when you feel guilty for the amount of money spent. The two of you spend the rest of the day back at Hogwarts, avoiding students and coworkers that insist on meddling in your life and eating your sweets.

"These are wonderful, but nothing will ever compare to a Reese's cup," you confess, your mouth still full of chocolate.

"Reese's cup?"

"Muggle candy. It's my favorite. I'll have to get you some."

You don't see his faint smile as he responds, "I look forward to it."