#13 Sirius~Emerald Dress

Sirius Black hated you. It was no fault of your own, but he could not stand being around you. You came from a family just as elitist as his, you were one in a long line of Slytherins, and he was absolutely head over heels in love with you.

"Black, Potter," Slughorn scolds for what must be the tenth time this minute, "Separate. Black, you're with (L/N). Potter, Evans." James gives Sirius a cheeky smile, earning him a slap to the arm. Sirius comes over to your table, pulling out his notes and completely ignoring you.

"Could you get some foxglove?" you ask, not taking your eyes of the cauldron in front of you.

He rolls his eyes but gets up, meeting James at the ingredient cupboard. "It hasn't been five minutes, and Evans already rejected you," Sirius jokes, looking for the ingredient. "You owe me, by the way. If you hadn't caused a distraction, I wouldn't be paired with that wretched snake (L/N)."

"Oh please. You are thrilled to be paired with her."

"I can't even stand her! What makes you think I like her?" Sirius exclaims, rather insulted that his friend thinks he would date you.

"The fact that you can find her almost immediately, no matter where she is." James smirks as Sirius's cheeks redden. "And the fact that you keep moaning her name in your sleep."

Sirius's cheeks turn from a dusted pink to a sunburnt red. "Hate sex is not the same as love, or even like, sex." He quickly grabs the vial before returning to you.

"Took you long enough," you mutter, taking the foxglove and measuring out how much you need.

"For someone who is terrible at potions, you could be nicer."

Your head snaps up to see him. "Well then, if you're the potion master, tell me, what exactly am I doing wrong?"

"For starters, the potion is supposed to be blue, not red, and foxglove isn't even an ingredient."

You have never felt more humiliated. Not only were you so wrong and completely ruined your potion, but Sirius Black was the one who corrected you. You never thought you had any feeling for Sirius other than hatred. You were perfectly fine with that until your friend said, "I can't stand being in the same room as you two. Feeling all that sexual tension...Y'all just need to bang out your problems and date already."

"You didn't think to tell me that before I mixed it?"

"What fun would that be?"

You roll your eyes and lean back, letting him take control. You hate to admit it, but the potion turned out better than you would have thought.

~~~

Mail day was never fun. Not for you, anyway. Your parents took mail day as a chance to show everyone your wealth. They took it upon themselves to send you lavish jewelry from every country they visited, reminders of responsibilities and banquets you had when you got back, and worst of all, clothes. You could hide the jewelry, you could ignore the reminders, but everyone saw the clothes. Some kids got homemade sweaters, others got tourist shirts, you got dresses that would rival the queen's.

You groan when you see your owl swoop into the dining hall with a dress bag hanging from its talons. Everyone's eyes follow it until it reaches you. There is a small note attached to it. "For the ball, we know you will not disappoint." You unzip your dress bag, revealing an emerald colored dress. Wanting nothing more than to get everyone's eyes off you, you rush to your room to hide the dress.

"The princess doesn't like her gift," a familiar voice taunts, earning snickers from his friends. "Too flashy?"

You roll your eyes and attempt to advance on the stairs past him. "Move, Black."