2

The party definitely wasn't the best part of my day.

In fact, it was everything I've had imagined. Lots of alcohol, loud music and a crowd of people that wouldn't budge even if you still begged for them to move.

I'm not trying to sound like the introverted kid in teen movies but those where exactly the reasons I hated high school parties.

Fortunately, I did recognize some friends so I decided to hang with them for Harry had abandoned me the moment he walked into the house.

We started having a nice conversation, but half way through it I started to doze off. Maybe it was the alcohol. The idea made me laugh, I looked at the half empty bottle I had gripped in my hand, the condensation slowly melting between my fingers was proof of my failed attempt to try to blend in by getting slightly drunk.

I felt someone place a hand over my shoulder. I looked up to see the girl with the pink hair Harry had introduced me the last time he dragged me to a party.

"Hey! You." I tried to sound casual but the truth is I had forgotten her name.

"How are you doing Adam?" and she remembered mine. "Dance with me."

I hissed "I really don't-" I looked around. The truth is I was going to fall asleep on that couch if I didn't move, so maybe dancing wasn't a bad idea. "Okay."

"Yes?" she asked excited.

She grabbed me by the hand and led me to the middle of the living room. I looked around, there weren't many people dancing; most of them were just standing and chatting, some couples were making out and the rest were just drinking.

"You're not much of a party guy, right?" she said, probably referring to my awkward dancing.

"What makes you say that?" I asked sarcastically.

"I never see you at parties, except for the one last time, which was... five months ago."

I laughed shaking my head "Yeah, I try to keep my parties at two a year."

"No, I'm guessing it would be zero if Harry didn't dragged you to them."

We both laughed but were interrupted by a commotion coming from the kitchen.

Without thinking, we approached the commotion.

There were a group of people surrounding a fight. It was between two guys, they were cussing at each other and the only thing stopping them from breaking into a fight were two other friends holding them back.

"So ridiculous" said the voice besides me and I was about to agree with pink hair when I recognized one of the guys involved.

It was Billy, my younger brother.

He was supposed to be at a friend's house working on a project, at least that's what he told Aunt Sheila.

He was so dead, and so was I; the moment Aunt Sheila was made aware that Billy had been drinking on a school day and even worst, making a complete fool of himself in a fight, she would take it upon me. I was the older brother, I had to look after him.

The older brother. That was a role I had taken seriously during my whole life. Ever since my parents died I understood I had become responsible for Billy. When Aunt Sheila took us in she was still young and unexperienced; she didn't know how to react when Billy started having nightmares every night to the point that he couldn't sleep alone, or when I had my first allergic reaction to those cookies we didn't know had peanuts in it.