On a moonlit balcony

“Your highness, Milady would you like a glass of rose champagne?!”

The Mayor's voice was little too sweet for Joshua's tolerance and he tried to play it down with another sip of his drink. But his princess , whom he proposed recently so as to escape being  labeled a criminal, seemed happy to accept the Mayor's hospitality with so much as a resistance.

“Thank you. That would be my pleasure.”

Joshua could feel a burning in his chest other than from the strong wine he was drinking. In fact a strange and unfamiliar one at that. But being the prince of Dres Van he knew how to maintain his composure no matter what he was feeling.

“Jan!”

“Yes, Your highness!”

Jan politely bowed to Mariele, the princess of Dres Van and filled her flute with the fresh champagne. The Mayor looked slightly displeased at the interjection of the Prince but he covered it with a smile. Not that it escaped Joshua's eyes.

The rest of the dinner was silent, seemingly because the Mayor caught onto Joshua's implications and shut his mouth. As the new royal couple stood up to retire for the evening the Mayor bowed to Joshua first then to the princess.

“Milady, I must thank you for your grace today, to have taken time to visit the City of Flowers. Though I'm more grateful towards His Highness for agreeing to visit us.”

He recited as he took her right hand in his and kissed the back of it. Mariele smiled faintly, though nervous, before looking to Joshua. But he was looking straight ahead, somewhere, far into the darkness, for only he knew what was there. She looked to the Mayor again with her brows furrowed a little bit, due to his unconcerned behavior and with a final curtsy they left for their rooms.

The princess, who was simply the royal designer a week ago seemed restless all of a sudden as they walked  back to the lodging. She knew full well, the engagement was not true, meaning not because they loved each other but only because the rules were absolute. He didn't want to be involved in a scandal that “Dres Van prince Kissed a ‘commoner’” and decided he'd rather marry her. Why, because succeeding to the throne was his first and only goal. She knew she can't get out of it but couldn't settle on it either. She felt the need to cool her head and worked up her courage to opened her mouth.

“Um… Prince Joshua?!”

In response to her timid voice the prince and his butler turned in unison. Joshua raised an eyebrow at her but said nothing.

“Uh… I was wondering if I could… take a walk?!”

“You mean now?!” Joshua's voice held a hint of surprise but he sounded irritated at the same time.

“Yeah. I- I thought I could get some air.”

He considered it for a moment before nodding. “Whatever. Don't go past the lawns here, got it?!”
Having said this Joshua turned and left without waiting for a reply.

“Don't worry about his highness’ words Milady. But are you sure you want to go alone?!”

“Yes. I won't go past the gates or anything.”

“Well, I guess it's alright then. Be sure to be back soon, Miss Mariele.”

“I will.”

Jan waved to her with the smile, leaving to report to the king about the day's events.

Mariele let out a huge sigh that she's been holding in. A gentle breeze tousled her wavy red locks as they danced across her face, disturbing her view occasionally. As she walked for sometime, she could see that she was only getting more frustrated. She'd hated the prince even before entering the gates of the Manor, for he did humiliate her. And more so after that accidental kiss, when he demanded she marry him.