Long lost -Sieg Lieben

I wasn't sure why I stood there for that long staring at one of the pictures of my grandfather's wedding. Theirs was the best wedding in all of Dresvanese history, of course. But I was looking at how my grandfather who looked legal and strict in his official pictures, was smiling like a kid in his wedding pictures. There was a picture of them, where my grandfather was so red in the face while my grandma was chuckling surrounded by all other princes who were laughing. Then there is one picture of them exchanging rings and my grandpa looking at my smiling grandmother with a tender face.

I was remembering that one soul who saw me for me but now lost to me.

I could see how he changed from that perfect prince to a man in love. It was a stark difference, as clear as a sky but beautiful. I sometimes think that he was so lucky to have met a woman who embraced all of him, flaws and all. As the stories go he has always been that dutiful ruler who was strict but righteous. But to me he has always been nothing short of loving.

Mostly I tend to avoid thinking about them because it makes me feel lonely. Everyone I've ever met, admired my title but the Sieg. But it can't be helped given the position I'm in. Still, I wonder if I'd ever meet someone who'll see me for me. I could hear my name being called so I looked up to see a huge crowd in front of me. Then it struck me that I was again musing about the day before and have totally forgotten that I was in a press conference. Composing my inner self I began to answer another one of those questionnaires.

When all the formal greetings and official agenda came to a close, they hoisted a pool party to wrap the day up. I was staring into the space drinking my wine when I felt eyes on me. I looked up to see two women talking while occasionally glancing this way. There were other princes but I wasn't sure why they were looking at me. I actually looked down to see if my suit was stained somewhere. Nothing. Then why?

When I looked to them again they were already gone. Yet my eyes scanned the whole venue to see where they were. Then someone knocked straight into me from behind and what I felt next was me soaking wet from head to toe with someone in tow. That someone was a girl, one of the two women from before grabbing onto my hand , while apologizing profusely.

She was dripping too, for we both fell into the pool because of her. I was furious but I couldn't show the unmanly attitude and be rude to a woman. So I got out and politely helped her out of the pool. Now that I saw her up close she had a petite figure and was shivering due to her wet clothes and the cold wind. She was still apologizing and looked pale and aghast. Almost as if she's been reprimanded.

Another glance at her face made me realize that she was indeed afraid and that too of me. I felt an uneasiness in the pit of my stomach. And then she bowed once and started retreating when I called out to her instinctively.

"Wait".

She halted and looked up at me, the fear same in her eyes.
"..."

"Don't tell me you're going to go home dripping wet like that." I smiled in a friendly manner to help ease her tension a little. She stuttered as she said.

"No... I'll see what I can to...", she started saying when I interrupted.

"Hans will take care of things on your end." She stared at me not knowing how to respond as I signalled Hans to take care of her and left.

As I got to my room and was getting changed I heard an urgent knock on my door. It was Hans.

"What is it, Hans?"

"Sieg, she has fainted and is now at the hospital. I thought I'd let you know..."

I felt like I couldn't breathe. I didn't know her and it was confusing. I didn't know what I was feeling but by the minute I was feeling worse than before. At the hospital I saw her face pale, lips slightly blue and eyes shut. A shiver ran through me and I was speechless. She's suffered hypothermia in that short span of time she soaking wet.