일곱

taehyung, of course, made for the wood.

and there he was now, out on the great grouse-moors, heather, and bog and rock, stretching away and up to the very sky. at least he came to a dip in the land, and went to the bottom of it, and then up to the moor;for he knew he had put a hill between him and his castle where his evil mother was.

so taehyung went on, and on, he hardly knew where. what would have taehyung done, if he had seen, walking over the moor behind him, the very same queen who he desperately ran off from?

and now he began to get a little hungry, and very thirsty; but he could see nothing to eat anywhere, and still less to drink.

to his left rose moor after moor, hill after hill, till they faded away into the black sky.

and finally, taehyung had gone on far into the lone lands, where there were no people left, no inns, and the roads grew steadily worse. not far ahead were dreary hills, rising higher and higher, dark with trees. everything seemed gloomy, for the weather had taken a nasty turn; it was cold and wet.

the poor boy splashed in a very muddy track. it was pouring with rain, and had been since his escape; his hair was dripping into his eyes, his dress was full of water; he was tired and stumbled on stones.

still he jogged on, never turning round with determination. somewhere behind the grey clouds the moon must have gone up as he went down into a deep valley with a river at the bottom. the wind got up, and willows along its banks bent and sighed. fortunately the road went over an ancient stone bridge, for the river, swollen with the rains, came rushing down from the hills and mountains in the north.

it was most probably nearly midnight when he had crossed over. the wind broke up the grey clouds, and a wandering moon appeared above the hills between the flying rags. then taehyung stopped.

"there's a light over there!" he mumbled to himself. there was a hill some way off with trees on it, pretty thick in parts. out of the dark mass of the trees he indeed could now see a light shining, a reddish comfortable-looking light, as it might be a fire or torches twinkling. he was freezing and a little of help from hopefully a kind stranger sounded the most tempting right now.

so he made off in the direction of the light, coming to the hill and were soon in the wood. up the hill he went; yet there was no proper path to be seen, such as might lead to a house or a farm (of course, what would he have expected of this deep, deathly valley). he made a deal of rustling and crackling and creaking (and a good deal of grumbling), as he went through the trees in the pitch dark.

suddenly the red light shone out very bright through the tree-trunks not far ahead.

as for taehyung walking primly towards the red light, he got right up to the fire. and what he saw sent a chilling shudder through his lithe, drenched body.

two very large mountain trolls sitting round a very large fire of pine-logs. they were toasting mutton on long spits of wood, and licking the gravy off their fingers.