Chapter 25

*7 months later*

Sarah's POV

         Looking around I noticed that I was in a hospital room and I had a lot of monitors hooked up to my arms. I sat up and looked around to see that the sun was setting outside and that it looked like it was snowing outside. I got out of my bed and went to flip the light switch but nothing came on, I tried a couple more times but it still wouldn't turn on, almost like I wasn't even touching it. I turned around towards my bed to look for the nurses button to call for service when I saw myself. I stood in the same spot for a couple seconds shocked before walking closer to the bed. My eyes were closed and the soft rise and fall of my chest was the only way to tell that I was still breathing besides the monitors. I walked closer to myself and touched my cheek feeling that I was slightly cold.

"You've been like that for the last seven months."

I quickly spun around to see my mom sitting in one of the hospital chairs just staring in my direction.

"Momma?"

I walked over to her and she rose to her feet and touched my cheek before embracing me. I clung to her and inhaled smelling her perfume reminding me of when I was a child.

"Mama what's going on? Why are you here?"

"Well baby you're slipping away from yourself. You haven't woken up because a part doesn't want to live anymore."

I turned around and looked at my body feeling sadness wash over me.

"What's the point of living when nothing goes right for me. It's been hell since the day you passed away and I don't know if I wanna continue living this life."

I felt my mom come up behind me and place her hands one my shoulders.

"You have to think of all the things you're giving up before you think to fully let go."

At that exact moment Matthew and Ciara walked in with a vase of flowers and I felt my breath catch in my throat. Ciara went over to the bed and climbed on until she was sitting next to me.

"Hi mommy."

She waited to see if I was gonna respond and when I didn't I saw the look of disappointment on her face but she quickly dropped it and started telling me about her day in school. I walked away from my mom and closer to where I was laying to get a closer look at Ciara. She was so beautiful and I reached out to touch her cheek but I just put my hand back down because I know she wouldn't be able to feel me and I wouldn't be able to feel her. I turned around and looked at Matthew who was leaning against the wall just watching Ciara. I walked closer and stood directly in front of him really looking at him. He looked so tired. I couldn't help reaching out my hand wanting to touch him. My hand lightly brushed under his eyes at the dark circles and bags under his eyes.

"He doesn't sleep unless he's here with you."

I turned around and my mom was just watching us with sad eyes. I turned back to him and I felt tears start to roll down my face as I really took him in and could only imagine how much this was taking a toll on him physically and emotionally. His phone started ringing and he reached into his pocket answering it by the third ring.

"What."

The other person spoke for a little while and his face remained neutral the entire time showing no emotion.

"Handle that shit within the next hour or pay with ya life, you already know I'm not the one to play with."

Before the person could respond he hung up and placed his phone back in his pocket. This wasn't my Matthew. This Matthew was so detached and emotionless.