Ever After

When I was trying to convince my parents to let me attend Full Sail University, I learned that I could go to school to make video games. I knew that there would be a big project where we would need to make a playable demo of a game to show off what we had learned. So I cooked up this idea of a dark-retelling of fairytales in a dark, turn-based RPG similar to Final Fantasy and Arc the Lad. But when it was apparent I wouldn't get approval (and without their help, I couldn't make tuition on my own) I put it in a drawer to write out--maybe one day to become a graphic novel or go on to be the video game I imagined. 

I meant to take my dad my Tale of Orson Turner (which has its own book and original concept piece if you would like to read it!) but accidentally took him the first chapter/concept piece for this. He absolutely raved about it and is still waiting for me to bring him more. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever After

In a world unlike our own, Fairy Tales play themselves out; however, something has gone terribly wrong. Beloved characters are going astray from their stories, new plots and twists are forming in a dark tale of betrayal, magic, and secrets. A group of survivors band together and try to learn the truth while setting stories right. 

Sally is a stitched together girl made up of spare parts and an electrical machine dreamed up by the madman known as Dr. Stein. He saved Sally's life, gave her a name when she couldn't remember her own and gave her a sense of belonging when Goldi shut her out, and other orphans shunned her for her stitches and mismatched appearance. 

In time, she started being visited by a cloaked figure who spoke in riddles and jokes, leading her until she started understanding Fatalia (the world) better. When Madam Goose sees that she can hold her own in combat against the shade, she is put into a task force alongside Goldi, Red, Nimble, and Grenouille (Gren for short) to start beating the shade back, rescuing those that they could from death. It isn't long until their path brings them to the magnificent castle in the distance, where even the servants are just as miserable as its master. 

Along the way, Sally will recognize more fairy tale characters, and stories that have become blurred or astray. But will this group be enough to set the world straight again, is there any going back from the darkness? After all they have endured, would they want to?

Characters

Sally, the ragdoll

Dr. Francis Stein, scientific necromancer

Madam Florence Goose, no-nonsense orphanage leader

Gregory "Hunstman" Harth, Madam Goose's biological son.

Goldiline "Goldie" Locks, beauty turned warrior.

Harper "Red" Pelt, a young girl, caught between species.

Pin—short for Pinocchio, he wants more than to be a puppet.

Jack Frost, cunning, and amusing guide

Dunnel "Humpty" Dumpty, a terminally ill man who found his way to the land of fairytales

Jack Nimble, a man, cursed to speak in rhymes whose tale ended badly

Grenouille, a young man, cursed to be a humanoid frog

Shade, a creature of the dark that takes on the form of evil from the stories we know and love

Robert "Big Bad" Pelt, Harper's Father