Chapter Eighteen

Sakura's eyes fluttered open only to see Naruto's face inches away from hers.

"Naru-kun? Why are you so close to me?" Her voice was raspy. Naruto chuckled and grinned sheepishly. Pain raged throughout her head as she tried to sit up.

"Sakura-chan, we're suppose to meet up for ramen today, remember?" No, she couldn't recall agreeing to that. But right now, her head wasn't the clearest.

"Oh right, I forgot." Naruto handed her some medicine for her headache. After changing into her clothes, Naruto dragged her to the ramen place where Sasuke was already sitting down.

"Are you alright?" Sasuke asked, noticing the girl rubbing her templates.

"Yeah. Um, weird question, but what happened yesterday?" The two boys exchanged an odd look between each other before nodding.

"You went to train with Lady Tsunade and got hit pretty hard."

"Might explain the headache." The pain in her head slowly faded.

"Sakura-chan, are you in?"

"Huh?"

"For the festival tonight? Are you coming with?"

"Yeah, sure." Naruto and Sasuke could see the internal battle inside of Sakura. She felt as if she was missing something. It was like a piece of her happiness was torn from her, lost like a puzzle. The pinkette shook her head and plastered on a smile. "We should hang out at your house Sasu-"

"No!" Sakura was startled by the loudness of his voice. "Er, my house is a mess and okaa-san doesn't want anyone to see it." Naturally, Sakura found his behavior to be suspicious, Naruto's too. It was as if they were hiding something from her. The trio departed from the ramen shop and prepared themselves for the festival.

"Woah, y-you look beautiful Sakura-chan," Naruto stuttered, blushing at the beauty before him. Sasuke had to admit that she looked gorgeous, though he wouldn't be caught dead admitting. Sakura nodded at the blonde and looked around the festival. She didn't know what she was looking for, she just felt as if something wasn't right.

"Who are you looking for Sakura?"

"E-eh? No one." It was clear to the two men that the she was lying to them, though they didn't want to press the issue. The night passed through Sakura in a haze. A huge disappointment weighed throughout her body as if she gotten stood up or as if she had missed a meeting with someone special. Either way, the feeling kept gnawing at her. By the time she had reached to her bedroom, she had tears streaming down her face.

"What am I forgetting?" She cried to herself, hugging the pillow tightly. For many nights, this would happen and everytime she woke up, she'd walk to a certain training area. Something about the place drew her closer. A week passed by, then months, then a full year passed by. Her friends and villagers worried for the depressed pinkette. She'd trudge through the village, with dull eyes filled with pain. No longer did she smile.

Naruto sighed heavily. He hated seeing his best friend like this.

"What's up with you, dobe?" Naruto turned to the oddly haired male behind him. "You aren't eating your food."

"Not hungry." Sasuke knew something was bothering the blonde. It was ramen, his favorite.

"I'm sure Sakura will be fine."

Sakura laid in bed. She could hear the frantic knocks on the door. It had been two weeks since she had left the house. Sasuke and Naruto broke the door down and searched for the girl. They found her in bed with lifeless eyes, tears on the brink of falling, her body was malnourished and dirtied. She hadn't showered in days, she had just given up. Sasuke's eyes fell to her bloodied wrists.

"Oh Kami," he breathed. In all his years, he had never seen someone so desperate. Naruto snarled at the gnarly sight. Blood against the wall, which he assumed was from her banging her head repeatedly.

"Sakura!" Sasuke scooped her into his arms and ran to the Hokage's office. Needless to say, Tsunade was not too thrill by the sound of the doors being thrusted opened. "This has to stop. Look at her!" Sasuke held Sakura out to the light. Tsunade held back a gasp. Sure she had heard the pinkette had lost some spirit, but she figured it would come back.

"Itachi and Shisui still have not found Oroch-"

"Screw the mission. The mission was to protect Sakura wasn't it?! How is this protecting her when she doesn't even want to live?!" Naruto yelled at her, not caring of the consequences he'd receive later.

Shisui was worried for his younger cousin. It had been a week since they departed from the village. Itachi had not said a word to him since, and was even more stoic than ever. Shisui could see the sadness in his eyes. Sure, he missed Sakura too, but this wasn't the same. It was in this mission his suspicion was confirmed. Itachi Uchiha, the heir of the Uchiha, was in love with Sakura Haruno. Shisui began to fear Itachi after a while. The way he killed his enemies, the emotionless dead eyes. Shisui truly hoped Sakura was happy in the village. He felt it was selfish wanting to abandon this mission just to see her. But his reasonings always stayed with him. This mission was to protect Sakura.

Itachi didn't understand what was going through his head. He could feel Sakura's warmth, laying on his chest. He often found himself dreaming of the nights they used to share. It was unclear to him as to why he felt so attached to the pinkette. Never in his life had he ever felt like this towards someone. Frankly, it scared him quite a bit, not understanding his emotions. Even eating the dangos, which he loved with a passion, was not the same. It didn't hold as much flavor as it used to. Everything was dull to him. He could not feel any warmth or comfort. He was surrounded by the lack of heat, whether it was the weather or the food he ate. It was all just gray and bland to him.

On one particular afternoon, a crow latched itself onto Itachi's arm. Tied on its back was a letter.

Itachi and Shisui,
Please report back to the office as soon as possible. The mission has been reassigned due to complications. The temporary seal supressing her memory will not come undone.
~Tsunade
P.S. Sakura is not doing good, she needs you here ~Sasuke U.
P.S.S Hurry your dumbasses here, we're losing her~Naruto U.

Itachi kicked Shisui's boots and dropped the letter on him. Itachi Uchiha, for the first time in a year, felt something spark within him. Hope, excitement, warmth. He had already packed and was glaring at Shisui for taking longer.

Sakura Haruno laid in the hospital bed, needles protruding from her veins. It wrenched people's heart to see the girl in such a state. What once was a bright, happy, loving girl had now turned into a broken shell. Her eyes were fixtated to the ceiling, never moving, only blinking on occasions. They hadn't heard her speak in five months. Suddenly, the sounds of feet running through the hallways shifted their attention. Lo and behold, Itachi and Shisui Uchiha. People were quick to move out of their way.

Sakura could feel her hands be lifted by two people. Her eyes widened in shock, she could feel the warmth of both hands. Shisui parted the falling bangs on her forehead.

"Oh Kami Sakura, I'm so sorry." Sakura turned her neck. It was no surprise to her that it was stiff. She looked into his crimson eyes, watching it change into charcoal eyes.

"I know you." She whispered. "Who are you?" Shisui hugged the girl tightly.

"It's me, Shisui." He could feel her arms wrap around his body. Though she could not remember clearly, it was his hug that comforted her. Itachi watched from the doorway. Onyx eyes clashed with emerald eyes. Shisui knew it was time for him to leave. Itachi next to the pinkette, not knowing what to do.

"Sakura." His voice was rough. She froze upon hearing her name. Her hand began to reach out to his face before hesitating. "Sakura." Again, he said her name, this time with passion and emotions filled with every letter. Though she did not know who he was, she knew he made her feel...at peace. Her hands carassed his face, stroking the strands of hair that fell freely. Itachi cupped her hands, holding it to his cheeks. He nuzzled against her warm hands.

For many people who watched from the doorway, it was quite a scene for them all. Tears of happiness were shed, smiles were exchanged. It was as if a huge curse was lifted from the village.