Chapter Twenty-One

Sakura's eyes fluttered open, inhaling the scent of breakfast.

"Morning Sakura." Her head whipped to Itachi's voice.

"Good morning, Itachi." He planted a kiss on her nose before sitting up. They both changed their attires before heading downstairs.

"Sakura Haruno, Itachi Uchiha, you have been summoned." Annoyed by their interruption during breakfast, the couple headed to the Hokage's tower.

"I have a mission for you. Sasori of the Akatsuki has information about Orochimaru. I need you three to find him and gather information. He is currently travelling through the Sound village. He has a partner, Deidara of the Iwagakura. Information will be in the briefing packet. You'll leave in an hour. Dismissed." The trio walked towards the compound. Sakura was nervous. Did Itachi want to let others know about their relationship? Or was it just a one-time thing? Her eyes trailed to his hands, and her head began to fill with the scenes from the previous night.

"Sakura? Are you alright?" Itachi asked. The pinkette simply nodded, trying her hardest to push the memory back. To her surprise, Itachi held her hand. He said nothing, only focusing forward.

"Oh my Kami! Are you two together? Finally!" Shisui squealed, earning himself a glare from the stoic Uchiha and a brightly lit blush from the girl. Sakura didn't know what to say.

"We are together." Itachi finally announced. When Sakura entered her room, she noticed the debriefing package on her bed.

Target: Sasori no Akasuna
Skills: Puppet master, Medic
Age: 35
Blood Type: AB
Goal: Extract information and eliminate

After two days of travelling, the trio found themselves on a bridge. Sasori and Deidara stood three hundred feet from them.

"Itachi, Shisui, I'll take Sasori. You guys take Deidara." Itachi nodded at her plan. He knew that she was a medic, one who knew her poisons well. Sakura and Sasori moved to a cave.

"Sasori no Akasuna."

"Sakura Haruno. If you can beat me, then I will reward you." The puppet master said. The jaw of the puppet opened, releasing hundreds of senbon shooting towards her. She quickly dodge them all and sent a kunai flying. The tail deflected the kunai and shot straight at her as she ran towards it. She suddenly stopped, allowing chakra into her fist and slamming it onto the puppet. A loud crack echoed through the cave as the puppet broke apart. A cloaked figure jumped out of it.

"You are a worthy opponent," he said as he pulled the cloak off. She gasped. He looked no older than twenty. Suddenly, he pulled out a scroll, which transformed into another large puppet.

"T-that's the third Kazekage." Sasori chuckled before pulling his chakra strings. The puppet lunged at her, revealing large blades up its sleeves. Dozens of hands formed and slammed onto her. She fell onto the ground, dodging all of them. As she jumped out, a puff of poisonous gas pumped out. She quickly took a deep breath before it surrounded her. As she was about to jump out, ropes tied around her. She quickly thought of a hyperactive blonde, the sulking emo whom she used to love. Then her mind trailed to Itachi and Shisui.

"No! I won't die here!" Breaking out of the ropes, she flipped backwards and out of the gas.

"Impressive." He smirked at the pinkette before sending a large block of metal towards her. She slammed her fist against it, sending it flying to the wall. "Iron Sand: World Order." Pain surged through her as the metal sliced her right arm. She fell, the poison was taking an effect already. The puppet lunged towards her, the blades ready to cut. To his surprise, the pinkette punched the puppet, shattering it completely.

"I used an antidote." She smirked at his annoyance.

"You are impressive," he said as he began to unbutton his cloak. She gasped.

"Y-you're a puppet!" She hid behind the rocks as flames began to engulf her surrounding. Suddenly, he began spurting water, causing the fire to disappear into mist. The water sliced the rocks like butter. She screamed when the coil in his stomach cut through her right side. She grabbed on to the coil, reeling it in and punching him in the stomach. Thousands of puppets began to form as he opened the side of his left chest. "Kuso!" In a matter a minutes, all the puppets were destroyed, leaving her heavily panting.

"Hm, interesting little girl." Sakura glared at him. Her eyes transformed into Sharingans without her knowing. "W-what?!" He began to shiver violently, and was completely unaware of the sword that had pierced into his heart.

"I win." She growled. He coughed out blood. The pinkette had beaten him. After listening to Sasori's information, she began to run towards Itachi and Shisui. She prayed she wasn't too late.

"Sakura! Over here!" Shisui yelled. Itachi and Shisui had easily beaten Deidara with their Sharingans. He was currently tied up and knocked out. Sakura sighed in relief. She was about to heal Itachi's burns until she was stopped.

"You're low on chakra. Save it." Sakura reluctantly agreed.

Itachi carried Sakura in his arms. She had passed out during their return home due to the loss of chakra and the poison. He planted a quick kiss before leaving her in her room. When she awoke, it was morning. She jumped into the shower and headed down.

"Good morning, Sakura." Itachi smiled at her. "Tsunade wants you at the tower."

Sakura walked happily to the tower and entered when she was allowed.

"Sakura, firstly, I wanted to apologize for what you had to go through the past year, which is why I will compensate for you. All your debts have been covered and no longer exists."

"Oh, um thank you Lady Tsunade-sama. You really didn't have to do that. I know you were doing it for my own good."

"Secondly, we need to talk about Orochimaru." Sakura's heart dropped at his name. She despised him with every fiber in her and she would be damned if anyone killed him before her.

"Yes m'lady."

"His current whereabouts are unknown, therefore, I can't allow you to go on ANBU missions until he is dealt with."

"B-but Lady Tsunade-sama, what will I do? I can't just sit on the sidelines and let everyone around me get hurt."

"I understand your concern, but I'm afraid there is no other choice. Sakura, you mean too much to us. Not because of your strength, but because we love you. I can't, no, I won't lose someone like you. You are my pupil, but through the years, I've grown to see you as my daughter. I understand that I will never replace your family, but I want you to know that I am here for you." Sakura was shocked by the Hokage's confession.

"I understand, but what will I do instead?"

"Good question. I have decided to appoint you as the head of the hospital." Again, Sakura was surprised.

"H-head of the hospital?! But I'm only sixteen! Surely there are better-"

"Sakura. I believe in you. You have grown so much. I've seen you and your potential. I believe you will do great." This was all going too fast for her. She had just turned sixteen last month, and now she would be head of the hospital?

"If you say so...then I will accept. I humbly accept this position. I won't let you down." Sakura bowed.