3

My heart go ba-dum boo'd up

Third pov.

The breath she was holding was suddenly released. Nancy rubs Mia's back in comfort as she leads them to the kitchen in the back. When they get there, Nancy faces her and gives a worried look as she just stays silent.

She didn't know what to think. So many thoughts were running through her head. How was he here? Where did he come from? How in the hell did he know my name? It's not like we wore name tags or anything. And most of all, what does he want with me?

"Hey honey.." Mia looks at Nancy, giving her a worried look. She shakes her head, edging her to speak. "You don't know him, do you?" She asks her with slight fear. Mia just stares at the poor woman in front of her.

I can't do this to her, she'll just worry too much. The poor women has done so much for me, the last thing I want to do is give her stress. Besides, from what I just went through today, he seems a little dangerous.

"No, I've never seen him before. I'm guessing he was just a little cranky this morning." Mia says with a slight laugh, trying to make it seem it wasn't a big deal. Nancy quickly grabs her wrist, a little too tightly for Mia's liking. Her eyes widen at the scared look on old lady's face.

"Mia, that man is very dangerous. The last thing I want is for you to get hurt. Just stay away from him, ok?" Nancy eyes held more than fear, they held truth. Mia slightly nods her head at her, showing she understands. But one thing stands out in her mind.

"Wait, do you know him Nancy?" They both just stare at eachother, not daring to say a word. She waves him off, as if this topic is nothing, which in reality, is a very big deal!

"Don't concern yourself about him." Before Mia could say anything she had on her mind, Nancy shuts her up with a look.

Nancy's mood quickly changes, smiling brightly at the now terrified Mia. She pats Mia's arm kindly before going back out there, taking orders.

Is he as dangerous as she says he is? Of course he is Mia! He almost strangled you on the spot when he figured out who you were! Besides, how could Nancy know that scary man? I haven't known her for a long time, is she hiding something? No, she can't be. We tell eachother everything... well until today exactly. Let's be real, we both know that we lied to each other, but it was like we didn't want to go further in on the topic. Like, something would happen if we did...

"Mia! We have tables waiting!" One of the employees yell out to Mia. She snaps out of her thoughts and run out of the kitchen, almost tripping on her own feet on the way.

°

Mia's pov.

Locking up the diner, I slip the keys into my jacket pocket and start my twenty minute walk back home, where my father is probably passed out. The phone in my bag buzzes, signalling that there is a text. I rub my hands together to get warm as I reach in my warn out bag to get out the darn phone. They almost slip out of my hands as I see it's a text phone my father.

Father-
Get me a beer pack on your way home, and don't be late!
Sent 10:15pm

I stare at the text in confusion as I continue to walk in the cold air. I just bought him a six pack yesterday, how could he need a new one already? Oh that's right, he's an alcoholic and an abuser. I shake my head sadly as I see the corner store up ahead. I look around in fright when I remeber this area.