Chapter Four - Rowan

I have no freaking idea why I decided to hide in the bathroom. Is this even allowed? I mean like, Maisie is a girl and I'm in the boys washroom, so... meh. I don't even really care about the game. I'm just playing because I have nothing better to do. I didn't want to set up my tent, so I left that job to the Fins and ran off. The only valid excuse I could think of was joining the game. Then again, when the game is over, I think I'm going to go back to our tent. Maybe I'll go to the van with our stuff and share some candy with our group.

I'm just sitting in a stall when I hear someone come in. Oh shit, that better not be Maisie. Actually, that would be hilarious. I shake my head. No, it would just be weird. Maisie is too nice to go in the other gender's bathroom. I walk out of the stall. Sasha is standing with his back against the wall, his eyes wide and his chest rising up and down heavily. He sees me and calms down a little.

"You won't believe me," he says. "But Maisie for some reason is carrying a knife. She chased me through the forest until I hid behind a big bush and she couldn't find me." 

Sure. And my mom is Cinderella. "Sasha, this is a game of Manhunt, not the Hunger Games." I say. "She was probably just holding a stick or someth⎯"

There are footsteps outside.

"If that's Maisie, this will be interesting," I whisper over to Sasha.

"Come out, come out wherever you are..." says a voice. It's female and it sounds like Maisie but there's something about it... something strange. A strange distortion in her voice. Whatever, it was probably just my imagination anyway. I stick my head out the door.

"You can't come in, so don't even try. Ha!"

She smiles. "I'm not going to."

I roll my eyes and turn to face Sasha. I cross my arms and smirk. No knife. And she's not coming in. His eyes are wide, and he gives a tiny shake of his head, hair bouncing about. He knows something I don't.

He lunges forwards but never reaches me.

Because the walls explode in flames and debris around us, and the last thing is see is Sasha screaming something at me.

But I never get the chance to find out what he says.