Chapter Nine - Christina

It's been a while since I heard that explosion. I don't really care either way. Earlier today I may or may not have injured someone anyway. I'm actually surprised I haven't been found yet, because all I'm doing is walking around.

I'm walking along a small stream, staring at myself in the water as I go, when I hear sticks break close by. It sounds like something is in a tree and is struggling to get out or something. I dive into the nearest shrubbery, narrowly avoiding the water. I hear footsteps coming towards where the branches were and then muffled voices. I strain to hear.

"Won't... kill... me ... Gun... down. Don't... need..."

And then another voice, closer this time.

"Did like you ...Fun."

A gunshot sounds and I nearly jump out of the bush. The shots keep coming. I use the opportunity to run.

I'm standing outside a cave, contemplating whether to go in, and Olivia runs right past me into the cave. I hear terrible shrieking and look behind me to see Maisie quickly gaining on us, running towards the cave. At the speed she's going, she'll be here very soon. I run in the cave without a thought.

 I take a seat next to Olivia. We stay still and try not to breathe. My eyes adjust to the darkness and I take in the cave. I'm not sure how deep it goes because it gets too dark, but it is a big cave. There is moisture on the walls, and a puddle has formed in the middle of the cave from water dripping from the ceiling. I see something moving in my peripheral vision but assume it's Olivia adjusting herself.

How wrong I am.
A minute later, Maisie is pacing outside the cave, waiting for us to come out and my hand is clamped over Olivia's mouth. There is literally a bear in front of us. Olivia's face is so pale I can see it even in the darkness and I feel like I just ran a marathon at top speed without slowing. I slowly lift my other hand to the bear.

 "I'm nice. I'm your friend. You don't have to hurt us. See?" I extend my hand. The bear growls and narrows its eyes at me. I swallow and nervously smile. Olivia touches my arm, indicating to let her try. I take my hand off her mouth and she extends her palm to the bear. I can tell she's scared.

 She whispers, "Don't worry." The bear sniffs her hand and seems to relax. She tentatively reaches out to stroke its head. It's surprised but when it senses she is doing no harm, it relaxes again. I'm about to stroke it also when a smaller bear comes out of the darkness, looking a bit flustered. The bigger one walks over to it and nuzzles it.

"Aww," Olivia says. "It has a baby."

A voice interrupts our peace.

 "You guys can't hide in there forever. There is nowhere to go but out, so either you come out or I'll just come in..."

 I forgot Maisie was still there.

 "Okay, well I guess since you guys aren't coming out..." She says. Her voice is weird. Almost singsongy. "I'll just come in then." The words reverberate around the cave.

 A silhouette appears at the mouth, two bright white eyes in the middle of the face. She walks towards us and pulls something from behind her. It glows a sharp red as if it was full of energy. She has us right where she wants us.

 Except for she doesn't know about the bears.
Like a good mother, the bigger bear growls when Maisie gets too close, because she and her child are in front of Olivia and I. Maisie doesn't seem startled by her. Instead she narrows her eyes and takes a step towards the bear. The object in her hand is clearer now. It's a weapon of sorts. She raises the laser blade towards the mother bear.

 "What are you going to do, claw me?" She takes a step closer. The bear''s growling turns into fierce snarling. Maisie doesn't back down. The bear rears onto its hind legs and roars. Then it chases her out of the cave.

"Do you think it's safe to go out?" asks Olivia. "We can't hide in here forever."

 "I think so," I reply. "It's been at least fifteen minutes since the mother bear chased Maisie away." The two bears are now in the corner, sleeping. "I'll go check."

 "Be safe." Olivia warns. "You never know what's out there."

 I nod and walk over to the mouth of the cave and peek out. It seems safe, so I step out. I scan my surroundings. We're deep into the forest, and surrounded by thick trees. I hear a river close by.
This place is actually quite beautiful.

 An ear-piercing shriek resonates from above me, and I look up to see Maisie jump off the top of the cave like a spider, laser sword in hand. She raises it mid-jump.

 I look closer. "Is that a-" I say.

 She shrieks again, and brings the sword down on me.