Chapter Twenty-Four - Gabriel

"I didn't kill her."

Wait, what?

"If you didn't kill her, why did we find your footprints in her blood?" I say. "Here, hold up your foot."

Olivia holds up her foot. There is a little dried blood on the bottom. Nico crosses his arms.

"Why would I ever kill Christina? She's one of my best friends." Olivia says. "I was with her when she died, saw her die myself. Maisie found us in the cave and jumped out at Christina with her laser sword thing. She split her in half. I saw it all and I couldn't do anything." Her voice breaks at the end.

I don't know what to do. Luckily, Nico breaks the silence before it becomes uncomfortable.

"Why don't we hide somewhere safe until we figure out a plan?" He asks.

"I saw a good, sturdy tree a little while from here." Olivia suggests.

She leads us away from the stream and towards the beach. About halfway in between the campsite and the beach she stops and looks up. As I follow her gaze, I see a tall tree not far from us. Olivia walks towards it. As we get nearer, I notice her bite her lip so hard, it starts bleeding and she winces, and as we get to the bottom of the trunk, I see why.

There is a body at the base of the trunk. 

It is a pink and red mess with bits of bone scattered everywhere. Blood is all over it and there are many bullets in the body. I can see the ribcage and the spine and the beginnings of the pelvis, all caked in blood and gore. The head is partly intact, but the bone from the neck is exposed and the hair is gone and most of the skin, too. There are only empty eye sockets where the eyes used to be. My gaze drifts to the ribcage and I immediately turn around and vomit. 

I just saw the heart with three holes right through it.

We all just stand there. Olivia ducks her head, whispers a few things that I can't hear, and walks to the other side of the trunk.

There is a silence. Then, Nico says,

"I wonder who they are."

Leaves fall down from above. I look up and Olivia's climbing the tree. She stops and looks down.

"You guys coming?"