Chapter 7

I was in the bathroom showering when Maya knocked on the door.

"Chris! You've been in there for almost an hour. Get out of there already, Jay is here."

I finished washed the soap off of myself then grabbed the towel and wrapped it around me. I never brought any clean clothes with me into the bathroom so I had to go back into my room with just my towel wrapped around me. When I entered the room, Jay was there lounging on my bed as if it were his. That was how Jay I were from we've became bestfriends. I'd walked into his house and room like I owned the place and he would walked into mine just the same. Jay and I were close enough that we even had unplanned sleepovers several times and slept in each other's bed.

"Hey." I greeted.

"What were you doing in that bathroom so long? Taking a dump?" Jay teased.

"Yeah. It was a long one." I said to him before I went over to get some deodorant. "Get your dirty shoes off my bed."

"Okay." Jay responded but only relaxed further in the bed with his shoes still on.

"What are you doing here anyway?" I asked as I took an underpants and a shirt from my drawer and went into the closet to change.

"Do I ever need a reason to be over here?" Jay asked.

"You're right. You practically lived here." I said from inside the closet as I quickly put on the shirt and underpants and discarded the towel.

"I was wondering if everything was alright with you." Jay said when I came out of the closet.

"Yeah, everything is great. Why wouldn't it be?" I asked.

"It's just that today you were ready to cut off Angie and Ashley's heads."

Lord helpeth me. Everything was now and Angie.

"I was?" I asked feigning ignorance.

"Yes, you were sort of a jerk towards them today. And then then when you got up from the table today and made that comment about the table being overcrowded, Angie was offended... They all were."

"So?" I asked uninterested with the topic.

"So, that was a bit of a jerk move. It was rude and the girls felt unwelcome and humiliated." Jay responded.

"And this information should concern me why and how?"

"Look Chris, I know you were never a fan of Angie before but you're my best friend and she's now my girlfriend and I would really like if you two could get along." Jay said to me. "If you would only give her a chance, you'd see that she's really great."

"Give her a chance?"

"Yeah, you know get to know her better." Jay responded.

"Why do I need to when you're already doing that?" I asked him.

"Chris come on. Things aren't going to be easy if you're constantly set to bite her head off."

"That was one time. I mean, her friend was being a snob and she seemed to defend her. I get the feeling she was being snobbish at one point too when she was putting down people who love to read or enjoy history- people like me?"

"Chris she didn't know. She doesn't know anything about you so it was totally unintended." Jay said to me. "You didn't need to get defensive."

"I'll get defensive if anyone says something I find offensive."

"Can you just give her a chance? Please, for my sake." Jay pleaded. "It's going to be awkward when my bestfriend and girlfriend can't get along."

"What do you want from me Jay?"

"I want you to try to get along with Angie. Maybe the two of you can become great friends eventually." Jay said to me.

"Don't count on it but if it makes you feel any better, I won't hurt your girlfriend's feeling anymore... at least not intentionally."

*****
"He asked you to try to get to know Angie more?" Maya asked in disbelief. I was telling her about Jay and I's conversation.

"Yep."

"How awkward is that." Maya said. "What did you tell him."

"I told him that he doesn't have to worry about me hurting his little girlfriend feelings." I sighed.

"I'm actually sorry for the situation you're in. It's must be hard." Maya said to me. "You do know that Angie is not as sweet and innocent as she let on?"

"I know. I can tell that she's a two faced manipulative person but Jay isn't able to see that as yet. I'm not going to be the one to tell him, he'll find out on his own eventually."

"I still think you should tell him." Maya said to me.

"Tell him that his girlfriend is an hypocritical pretender?"

"No, tell him how you feel. Maybe he'll listen to reason then and see that Angie is so wrong for him."  Maya said to me.

"No way. If he's going to find a fault with her, let him do so off his own. I'm not going to be that bitter jealous friend who tries to break them up." I told her.

"Fine, it is up to you." Maya said to me. "So, what do you think about Adam?"

"What about him?"

"Do you find him attractive, do you think he's nice? Would you ever consider giving him a chance since the guy who you like is with someone else?"Maya asked.

"What? Adam?"

"Yes Adam. I think she likes you, no I know that he likes you." Maya said to me. "Remember the other day when he told you that you looked nice? He hasn't stopped inquiring about you."

"Really?"

"Yeah really. And he's a really nice guy too." Maya said to me. "I think if he asks you out, you should give him a chance."

"I don't think I'm really cut out for dating."

"If you never try how would you know?" Maya asked. "You're like the only seventeen year old now that I know who has never been on a date."

"Do I seemed bothered by that fact?" I asked her.

"Actually no, which makes..."

"Good. That simple means that I don't see the need to date right now, it isn't exactly a necessity." I told her.

"Or it means that you are a hopeless romantic who believes in only dating one guy and that one guy is your bestfriend." Maya said to me. "I'm curious though, when did you start developing feelings for Jay?"

"I honestly don't know."

"I think because you guys spent so much time together growing up, it was bound to happen." Maya said to me. "You two were practically dating all these years. You know each other more than anyone else. That is why I have a theory."

"And what is your theory?"

"I think that Jay likes you as more than a friend too. Just like you he never shared his feelings because he doesn't want to ruin your friendship." Maya responded. "That's probably the reason why he's dating Angie. He's afraid of losing you if he ruin your friendship by confessing his feelings for you, so he's dating her in hopes that he'll forget his feelings for you.

"Wow." I couldn't help the laughter. "Now that is what I call a theory Maya."