Chapter 8

"Hey Chris! Have you seen Jay?" Jay's older brother Malcolm asked me as I wiped the  windshield of a customer's car.

"No, I haven't seen him this evening." I responded truthfully.

"Jay and I are going to have some serious problem." Malcolm mumbled furiously as he walked away.

I was at the garage doing my after school shift. I hadn't seen Jay after school had ended but I knew that wherever he was, he was definitely there with Angie. Ever since he started dating her, he hasn't only ditched me and the guys sometimes- when we made plans- he had been ditching and slacking off at work too. I could tell that Malcolm was pissed, he and Jay were supposed to be working on a car for a customer who was coming back for his car the next day, and Jay was missing.

"Chris, where's Jay?" Jay's father asked me about ten minutes later.

"I'm not sure Dan, I haven't seen him this evening." I told him.

"And you have no idea where he could be?" Dan asked me.

"Not really. Have you tried calling you him? I could go do that now if..."

"I've tried calling, I'm not getting through to him." Dan responded. "His phone just went to voicemail."

"I'm sure he's alright. He's probably just with Angie. She's a bit over dependent and clingy, apparently she doesn't like his phone disturbing them when they are together."

"I hope he knows that he's walking on thin ice. Not because he's my son and not going to cut him any slacks. If he wants to continue working here, he's better start taking his work more seriously or he can just settle for the little allowance he gets and lunch money." Dan said to me. "If you see him if he bothers to show up, let him know that I want to see him."

"Sure." I nodded.

"Chris!" Malcolm called out to me before pointing at a car that just came in. "It needs a tyre change and some air in the others."

"Cool. I'll be right there!" I called out to him.

I walked over to the car as the owner got out. I
The car belonged to a handsome young guy, who looked to be in his early twenties.

"Hey." I greeted him.

"Hi." He smiled at me.

"What happened now?" I asked as I bent to inspect his tyres.

"It is the right front tyre." He told me. "I ran over some nail or something. Don't even know what it was doing there in the road in the first place."

"I see. It's punctured." I said as I found the spot right where the tyre was punctured and ran a finger over it. "Do you have a spare or are you buying a new tyre now as well?"

"I've got a spare in the back." He said to me as he got around to the trunk of his car and brought out a spare.

I furrowed my brows, if he had a spare, why didn't he just changed the tyre himself? Not that I was complaining because me changing his tyre would mean sure cash but didn't this guy know how to change a flat?

"I know you're probably wondering what kind of guy doesn't know how to change his flat tyre." He smiled at me.

"What are you? A mind reader?" I joked with him as I set out to work.

"It was a lucky guess." He chuckled. "I do know how to change a flat tyre though, I just didn't have any tools."

"Oh, I get it. But you should always try to have tools and a spare at all times. You could've gotten a flat at a more deserted and lonelier place."

"I know but my friend borrowed them and didn't return them."

As I worked on getting off the punctured tyre and putting on the new one, I had learnt that the guy name was Isaac and he was a sophomore in college. I was pretty sure that we were flirting by the time I was done with his car. Even after he paid me he didn't left same time, he stayed talking with me. I was well aware that Isaac seemed intrigued by me.

"Hey Chris!" I heard Jay called me.

I looked in the direction of the voice and saw that he just came in. I gave him a wave before focussing back my attention to Isaac. It was rare that I found a guy who is interested in me and I share that feeling as well.

"Chris imma need your assistance over here!" Jay called again.

I turned and gave him an annoyed look as I discreetly gave him the middle finger.

"I'm talking Jay, I'll soon be there!" 

"It's okay. You got to work and I've got to go anyway." Isaac smiled at me. "Maybe I'll see you around Chris."

"Yeah maybe." I smiled back.

"Thanks for fixing up my car for me."

"It wasn't a problem." I told him.

"Bye." He smiled at me before going into his car.

"Dude what the hell? Why did you do that?" I asked Jay as I walked over to him.

"Do what?" He asked feigning innocent.

"You know what." I said to him. "Didn't you see me talking?"

"I thought you needed rescuing." Jay shrugged.

"And what gave you that impression? Did I look like I was in need of rescuing? You know well if I wanted I could handle myself." I said to him.

"Sorry then, I didn't know." Jay responded.

"Ofcourse you didn't." I said sarcastically. "You did that on purpose."

"I didn't. I didn't know you were interested in the guy." Jay said to me. "Besides, he was a bit too old for you anyway."

"Seriously Jay? Screw you."

"You're that pissed with me?"

"Yes. I don't get involved in your personal affairs this much so please refrain from getting involved in mine." I said to him before I saw his father coming our way. "By the way, your dad wants to speak with you."

"Jay! Get your ass over here!" Dan shouted.

"Oh crap." Jay groaned.

"Yeah. I'm going home now, have fun with all the cars that Malcolm and Dan are going to throw your way."

*****
Sorry for not updating for the past few days. I've been on a little vacation so I was off the internet, bit don't worry I'm not gone.