Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Ruth Eden Glass

"Alright, again" I shouted, as I pressed play on my speakers. I counted them in and then the routine started. I watched closely as my cheerleading squad went through the routine for sectionals. Ashley, the captain, led the routine as Kim, the main flyer, made the stunts perfect.

As I watched I noticed at least three members of the squad were off time. I sighed heavily, putting my hands on my hips, before stopping the music. "Stop, stop, stop" I shook my head. They all groaned in complaint as they wiped sweat from their brows. "You guys have got to get your head in the game. Half of you are out of time, base's you look like you're struggling and Kim, honey, you need to point your toes".

"I'm trying coach" Kim sighed, pushing her blonde curls from her eyes.

"I know you are. But, guys, sectionals are just around the corner. At this rate, we are not going to advance to the next round".

"We need to advance to the next round, guys" Ashley piped up.

"I'm sorry, but I got loads of shit going on at the moment" one of the boys towards the back spoke up. "I have got my mid-terms coming up and I got a project due".

I sighed heavily as I looked at my squad. Their bodies were glistening with sweat and they all were still breathing heavily. They were good kids and they tried hard. "Alright, guys, I have to tell you guys something". I shifted awkwardly on my feet. I had only been the coach for the Memphis All Stars for two months, but I felt that they trusted me well enough.

"I've been keeping something from you guys, because I didn't want to freak you all out and have you worrying about stuff" I admitted, "but the Dean told me that if we don't make it to nationals this year that they're cutting our budget for next year".

"But we don't have a budget for next year then we won't be able to compete next year" Ashley frowned, working it all out.

"Exactly" I nodded.

"But that's not fair" she yelled, "they never cut money from the Football team or the Basketball team. We work just as hard, if not harder, than them".

"Believe me, Ashley, I know. I fought as hard as I could for the squad" I admitted. "And I was lucky. They were going to cut the budget now but I managed to convince them that if we got to nationals then they couldn't cut our budget".

"So we have to make sure we kick some ass all the ways to nationals" Kim added in, and the rest of the squad muttered in agreement.

"Look, if I'm hard on you guys at the moment, this is why. Because if they cut the budget then we're going to have cut part of the team. And if we do that..." I trailed off.

"Some of us lose our scholarships" Daniel, one of the bases, finished for me grimly.

"Yes" I sighed, nodding at my squad. "But it's fine" I suddenly chirped, grinning at the kids. "Positive thoughts only in this gym, right? And the positive thoughts I want from all of you, is that we're going to ace sectionals and ride the high road all the way to nationals".

"Hell yeah" Ashley shouted and I smiled.

"All right All Stars, hands in". I stepped up and put my hand out. Quickly all the squad put their hands into the centre. "All Stars" we all said in unison before breaking hands. "Alright, I'll see you all for practice tomorrow" I called, as everyone began to gather their bags and make their way out.

I sat in my office for an hour or so, going over paperwork and documents for sectionals, before I headed home. Since joining the Red Knox Pack, I quickly thought of it as home. I'd only been there two months but it was a comfortable pack. But, I didn't hang out socially with anyone from the pack. I spoke to them occasionally, did my pack work, but kept my quiet life.