Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

Ruth Eden Glass

The cottage that I had been given when I came to Red Knox Pack was still empty. I had successfully moved out of the cottage, and to Quinn's large home months ago, but I still had the keys to my old place.

After leaving Drew with Ken, I headed to my cottage first. Inside, I flicked the lights on before getting to work. I had left Quinn on a bad note and I wanted to make amends to him. After everything he had done for me, and how he had looked after me and loved me, I needed to make him realise that I was serious about us.

I moved the furniture out of the lounge and into the bedroom, before putting together a make-shift bed out of blankets and pillows on the floor. I then dimmed the lights and put some soft music on.

I then headed back home, where everything was quiet. My mother had gone to bed, as had Quinn. He stirred as walked in but didn't wake. I very quietly changed my clothing – putting on a pair of matching red underwear underneath a summery black dress and plain flats.

I then perched on the edge of the bed next to Quinn. In his sleep he looked so much younger – his dark hair stinking up in random direction, his creamy skin smooth and flawless and his closed eyes heavy with thick lashes.

I ran my finger over his cheek and he moaned softly under his breath. I smiled softly, as I stroked his hair and his face. It took a few moments, but finally Quinn woke up – slowly and almost blissfully. It took him a few times before he fully opened his eyes and took me in.

"Hey sleepyhead" I smiled, before lightly kissing his forehead and cheek.

"Ruth. Did I fall asleep? I was waiting for you...you went to Drew...what happened?" His voice was heavy and fatigued, his face full of confusion.

"We'll talk about that later. Come on, I want you to come with me". I stood up and pulled the comforter away from his body. Still half-asleep, Quinn stumbled out of bed and pulled on a discarded pair of sweatpants as I handed him a white shirt. He slipped on some sneakers, before I took his hand and led him out the house.

It took a few minutes of fresh night air, to fully wake Quinn up. And, when he did, he began to grill me about my meeting with my ex-husband. "Let it go for a moment" I replied, squeezing his hand.

"Fine. Where are we going?"

"To my old cottage. I want some time with you away from my mother's ears".

"Oh...okay" he muttered. He rubbed his eyes, trying to expel the tiredness, as we walked on. His nervousness was etching into the air – he was desperate to find out about what Drew and I spoke about, and about how I felt about. But I was holding out for a good reason.

We reached my cottage without interruption and Quinn smiled at set up I had done. "You trying to get into my pants, Miss Glass?" he mused, seeing the make-shift bed.

"Something like that" I snorted. I flicked my shoes off, as did Quinn, before I led him over to the pillow and blanket infested living room. I stopped Quinn and turned him to face me. "I need to speak and I need you to let me. No interrupting, no questions and no trying to take over".

"Take over?" he asked in confusion.

"You'll see" I muttered. I leant up and gave him a kiss – which was supposed to be a quick peck, but his hands wrapped around me and so it went on a bit longer. I pulled away, finally, and Quinn groaned in annoyance – he was definitely awake now. "Later".

"I'm holding you to that".

I took a deep breath and looked up at Quinn. "I love you. I love you so fucking much that sometimes I don't know what to do with myself. Nothing but you and our girls matter now. Nothing is as important for me anymore".