Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Alpha Quinn Danvers

Twins. Holy fuck. Ruth was pregnant with two of my children. I was going to be a father to two babies, not just one. "How...I..." I paused, clearing my throat, before turning back to the doctor. "How was this missed before now?"

"The first scan the babies were too undeveloped to notice there were two separate foetuses. And, during the second, it was likely that one baby was in front of the other" he explained.

Excitement bubbled in my stomach as I turned to Ruth – who looked completely shell shocked. "Ruth, darlin', are you alright?" I perched on the side of the hospital bed and took one of her hands in mine. She looked at me, her green eyes glistening with tears.

"I don't know what to say. We're having twins? Two babies?" she stumbled out, a single tear slipped down her cheek. I swiped it away quickly, not letting it stain her beautiful porcelain skin. She turned to the doctor. "Can we tell the genders?"

"Yes, they're both little girls" he told us.

I swore, in that moment, my heart exploded with happiness. I was going to have two little girls all to myself – my own little girls. Secretly I had hoped for a daughter, despite the fact that I needed a male heir, because the idea of having a daughter to take to school dances, to see her blossom and protector her was exactly what I pictured.

Ruth closed her eyes and began to sob. I turned to the doctor and nodded him out the door – he obliged instantly. "Hey, darlin', it's alright" I soothed her. She tried to catch her breath as her entire body rocked with the hardness of her cries. I put my arms around her and pulled her into my embrace – she rested her head against my chest as she cried.

I was silent for a while, holding her close, as my hand moved down and rested on her stomach. My daughters – plural – were inside there. I sat there, Ruth pressed against me and my hand on her stomach.

"I'm sorry" Ruth sniffed, when her cries quietened down. She pulled away and ran a hand over her face. Her red-rimmed eyes looked up and me, and my heart sped up. It was so hard not to have feelings for her. Ruth was so sweet and loving, with such an innocent heart, that it was hard to spend time with her and not catch feelings. Not to mention that she was beautiful and carrying my daughters.

"When the doctor paused like that...I was so scared. Everything with Abel came flooding back. When I realised it was because there were two babies – two healthy babies – I was so relieved".

I kissed the top of her head, "we're having twin girls".

She hiccupped through her tears, "yes, we're having twin girls".

I took Ruth for lunch before we went shopping. Her mood had drastically improved as we looked through clothing – I think finding out we were having girls was a relief for her. She would have really struggled finding out she was having a boy after everything with Abel, so she was obviously glad to be browsing through girl's clothing and toys.

"So, I was thinking that maybe we think a little bit out the box" she said, as we looked through paint for the nursery.

"You don't think pink?"

"Pink has been done to death. Everyone paints their girl's rooms pink. We should go for like a purple or some pastel colours".

"I like the idea of purple. Maybe a lilac shade?" I suggested. She nodded, and we found the pastel section and found the shade of purple we wanted. Ruth then found some wall stencils of two wolves howling at a crescent moon. So, we picked up a black paint for the stencil.