Company

Warm and tight. Soft and inviting. Makes my knee's weak and heart spin, and brain overheat. Scary, yet so irresistible. I think back to early tonight. A smile plays on my face, as a movie of the night replays again. Over and over so I won't forget anything. I consider making a second one. A second paper crane. But tonight, tonight I'll let it swim away. 

~~~

He's sitting with us today. Diagonal to me. I can't seem to keep my eyes off his. I know we're trying to keep it secret, but my brains dizzy for the idea of tonight. I didn't tell him anything. Well, except I'd pick him up at six. 

We've been texting and snap chatting and Instagramming and everything under the moon till today. I've learned about him little by little. I'm picking him up at his Dad's tonight. His parents get divorced a couple years ago. From the sound of it, he's known it's been coming for more than a couple.

He finally turns around, a makes eye contact with me. I try to keep my face blank, but when he smiles, I do too. I expect him to turn back to his conversation, but he doesn't.

"What are you doin' tonight, Phoenix?" I blink in utter surprise. Oh. This is what he wants to do? I can do it too.

"I'm going on a date tonight, Travis, thanks for asking," I try to look as smug as possible. 

Travis replies with, "Weird, I'm going on a date too!" and Ace saying at the same time, "With who? You haven't talked about going on a date with anyone lately?" Ace's comment makes me cringe with guilt. I guess if I should have told him. It's my job as a best friend, right?

"Uh, you wouldn't know him, I don't think. He's kind of a nobody," I hear a little scuff come from Travis. I bite my lip and force myself to not look at him.

"A him? Oh," The table goes quiet and I want to scream. To break the silence.

"Hey, Phoenix, did you know Travis recently came out too?" Charlie tries to start the conversation again and I almost kiss him. Then again, I have a date with Travis tonight.

I turn back to Travis and pretend to be surprised, "Really? That's amazing Travis! Congrats! You said you were going on a date tonight too, right? Who are you going out with?"

Travis shrugs, and I can tell he's trying not to smile too, "Like you said, I doubt anyone here would know him. He's not exactly the brightest or most athletic. I'm kind of hoping he's just looking for an easy lay." 

My eyes bulge out of my head, the whole table laughs. Travis keeps shrugging, pretending to be casual. I almost want to shout how I'm not an easy lay. He's the one who confronted me in the locker room. But I guess he could turn it on me since I did kiss him at a party where neither of us was out yet.

"Oh shit. I hope we haven't been, like, double booked or something. Because mine kind of has a reputation for being easy too," I make my face looked concerned, and the table hoots with laughter.

"Wouldn't that be crazy? Oh my god, will you face time me if you guys do show up for the same dude? I want to see what happens!" Ace slaps my back, and the grin breaks out. 

Somehow, the subject changes, but I find myself still watching him. When he turns around, he sneakily mouths 'fuck you' without anyone noticing. I mouth back, 'after dinner'. He rolls his eyes, and my heart tightens.

~~~

"Sarah, like, what if this is all a gag to prove I shouldn't be gay," At this point, I'm making any excuse.

"Phoenix, fucking calm down. You're en route to his fucking house-"

"You have got to calm down, bitch. Your potty mouth is out of control. I'm all about a fuck you, but not when we're trying to convince me he actually wants to go out with me!"