Introductions

Often they are scary, even for the one introducing not being introduced. Awkward, cold, uneasy. I fear them in a world where I'm always being introduced or introducing. I feel bad for Logan. I feel bad for me. I feel bad for the world. I want to fold a little paper crane and let it do the talking for me instead.

~~~

"I honestly can not believe you're so willing to meet my parents. I totally would not meet my parents. You're dating me, you know how insane I am. And obviously, it had to come from somewhere," i don't know why I'm rambling. Sarah stares at me from the front seat, her seatbelt stretched over her ever-growing bump.

"Phoenix," Logan rests a hand on my thigh, and it begins to feel hot, "I'm dating you, as you just said, which means obviously I like crazy and will get along fine with your parents." Sarah snorts at that and I scowl at her.

"We should have just gotten a rental car and drove around Denver or something," I stare out the window, still paying attention to Logan's hand on my thigh, dragging his thumb slowly in a circle.

Logan's parents went on a Christmas cruise, so for some reason, the first thing that came to my head came out of my mouth. So now here we are. After seven months of dating, Logan's spending the holidays with me in Wyoming with my family.  On the flight here, Logan jokingly asked if he was going to see exactly where Kim Kardashian takes her Wyoming pictures. I told him I've never lived in that Wyoming.

Sarah agreed to pick us up at the airport in Denver, even though I wanted to get a rental so we could go around and do stuff without a designated driver. Mom laughed and reminded me how I'm a poor college student so there went that dream.

"Wow, Phoenix, he's willing to spend two weeks in the cold for your insane family, you found a good one," I flip Sarah off even though she can't see it and Logan slaps my hand down.

"Don't flip off a pregnant driving lady," His whisper is harsh and hot on my ear.

"Always if she's your sister," Logan rolls his eyes at me and smile.

"Well, buckle up buttercups, Mom's bouncing off the walls and dad has a whole list of questions," Both our face drain of color as Sarah pulls onto my parents street with an evil laugh.

"Hey, we'll totally try out the nursey for you. We have to make sure its comfortable for the baby, and everything," Sarah just laughs more and parks in front of the house.

"I think it will be aye-okay, otherwise I can get Aiden to try it out. You've got a date with destiny, boys, and I've got a show to catch," Sarah slams the driver door shut and waddles up to the front door.

I sigh, and wrap Logan in a hug, one he squirms in, "Why are you hugging me? We need to get out, your parents are waiting."

I don't let him out, "I know. But it's been fun dating you. You were so nice. I'll miss this."

Logan pushes me away with a laugh, "Shut up. I'm a reporter. I'm perfect at taking shit and listening to shit. I've got this. My poker face is ten times better than yours. I acted in high school, remember?" I pout, "Come on, help me grab our bags and we hit the house and parents, okay?"

I sigh, and open my door, "I truly will miss you. The boy who was so confident only to get ruined by the boyfriend's parents. Tragic."

"Shut up." And we climb out the car and grab our two suitcases. Dad's already made it down the driveway by the time we shut the trunk. 

Logan sets down his luggage and sticks out his hand, "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Weather. Logan Price."

Dads eyes are narrow and my face burns in second-hand embarrassment. Even if nothing embarrassing has happened. I cross my fingers a beg my dad to take his hand and welcome him. It seems like hours tick by.

"Well Logan," I'm already cringing at my dad's words and wish he'd hurry the hell up so we could go inside and talk to mom, "Phoenix told me you've only lived in California, I bet you're freezing your ass off out here. Let's get these bags inside." Not exactly an ideal greeting, but it suffices for now.

Logan lets out a -nervous- chuckle, and picks up his bag again, "Yeah, it is pretty cold. Phoenix also told me this is kind of warm for winter, so I'm excited to see what the weather has in store the rest of the visit." 

I'm proud of him, truly am. When I first met his parents I could barely get a word out. I looked like a blushing fool, obviously too stupid for their son to date. 

Then again, we hadn't been dating very long before I met his parents, only two months or so. They had come down for his birthday in late June. They were sweet. Way more energetic and innocent than my family. And far saner. 

Mrs. Price- 'please, call me Greta' -and Mr. Price- 'It's Mike, son' -bought us the nicest dinner in all of Standford. They giggle, only sipped their wine and beer. Asked about how different my hometown is from Standford, and if it was hard moving so far away from home at first. To think Logan whined about how embarrassing they were at dinner. I nearly fainted in shock. 

My dad didn't tell him his first name. 

We very quietly followed my dad up the driveway. I gave Logan's shoulder a little squeeze before we made it to the door. I'm sure it wasn't comforting, but he gave me a tight lip smile anyway. I like having Logan around, but maybe inviting him to my house was a big mistake. 

"Our code word is banana bread," I whisper into his ear and he slaps my shoulder before entering the house.

"Phoenix!" My whole body is engulfed by a smaller, plump frame. I wrap my arms around my mom, and give her a little squeeze before she finally lets me break away, "I feel like I haven't seen you in so long!"

"Like, not even four months," But I smile at her and nod with her.

"Shut up," She pats my arm and I see Logan nodding at me, obviously proud of her choice of words. I narrow my eyes and shake my head at him, and that catches my mothers attention. 

"Oh, you must be Logan!" I give him a weak smile over my mother's shoulder as she wraps him in a tight embrace, "Look like all the pictures Phoenix shares," She holds him at arm's length and Logan gives me a dirty look.

I shrug.

"Okay, mom," I pick up our bags, "I'm going to show him where he's going to sleep, so I'll need him back," Mom reluctantly lets go, and when we pass her on the way to the stairs, I lean over and whisper in her ear, "Get dad to ease up please."