~Four~

It was the end of the day, and Maddie was getting some things out of her locker before heading back to the castle. It had been a very long day, and she couldn't wait to relax on her bed.

Suddenly, she came across something in her locker. It was a small photo she kept in there whenever she needed some cheering up. It was a picture of her, Mal, and Ben. The photo had Mal and Ben's arms wrapped around her. They were so happy back then. Maddie missed that. Some days, the photo brought happiness to her, but today, she just felt sadness. She missed her mother deeply, and there wasn't really anyone she could go to. Sure her friends know what it feels like to lose a parent, but none of them can talk to her since Mal was her mother and not anyone else's.

Tears began to fall from her face. Little did the happy people in the photo would have their life turned upside down in less than a week of taking it. Maddie sighed as she carefully placed the photo in its spot in her locker.

"Seems like everyone's a bit on the downside today," a voice said from behind.

Maddie turned around in fear only to be be face to face with Doug. "Oh, it's just you, Uncle Doug," she said, letting a breath out. "You scared me."

"Sorry about that," he said.

"No biggy," Maddie replied.

"Does somebody need a comforting hug?" Doug asked with his arms open. Because Ben wasn't really there for Maddie, Doug stepped up as her fatherly figure when she was at school.

Maddie nodded as she made her way to Doug's arms. "It's funny how you're more of my dad than my actual father," Maddie said.

"Hey, if he won't step up, then I will," Doug said.

Maddie chuckled. "Would you still consider my father your friend?" Maddie asked. Doug was silent. "It's okay to say no. I would say no too."

"I honestly don't know," Doug said. "I mean, you're father and I were best friends in high school. Just like how your mother and Evie were best friends. In fact, your father helped me overcome my fear of introducing Evie to my family."

"You were scared to introduce your wife, who I hope at the time was your girlfriend, to your family?"

"It was a complicated situation. I come from the dwarf family, and the Evil Queen was our enemy. I wasn't sure how my parents and uncles were going to react to me dating the daughter of the enemy."

"How did it go?" Maddie asked.

"They were a little wary at first, but Snow White was over that night, and she was completely approving of Evie. My family felt that if Snow could trust her, then they could trust her too."

"How did they react when you guys were expecting Daisy?"

"They were happy for us."

"Hm," Maddie said. "And my father helped you overcome your fears?" Doug nodded. "I highly doubt that to be possible."

"I can ensure you, it happened. There was a time when Ben was there for others."

"You answered I don't know," Maddie said. "That means you see the situation from different perspectives. You showed me the pro of being my father's friend, but what about the con?"

Doug sighed. "After your mother and the others disappeared, you're father fell into a deep depression. I know different people will handle situations differently, but it has been eleven years. Eleven years he has neglected us. Eleven years he turned down our help. Eleven years he has neglected you." Maddie was silent. "Anyways, there's still the dinner tonight."

"Oh yeah," Maddie said. "I almost forgot. I can't wait."

"Who knows. Maybe your father might actually want to come this time," Doug said, trying to stay optimistic.