II. apeshit

MY EYES FLUTTERED OPEN

A bright fluorescent light that hung from the ceiling forced my eyes back close. The air smelled like sunblock and salty water. My eyes flicked to my left to see a glass stand of medical-related things. It took me a second to realize I was in a clinic of some sort. I sighted three people standing outside the doorway of the room; two guys and a girl.

"What happened?" I asked. My voice was not hoarse as I expected it would be after reading so many books that noted that. They looked at me and rushed into the room.

The African-American guy spoke first. "You were hit by a ball while playing volleyball, and your nose was broken with a small concussion, nothing major."

"The reason you were out for so long was that you were dehydrated and couldn't handle the extra heat," the second guy spoke. I recognized him from being the guy with soft hands that held my chin when I went down. It was the last thing I remember.

"Who hit me?"

The tall girl with brown curls cleared her throat. "That would be me. Erm, I'm really really sorry about that. I didn't mean to. Here's a bottle of water."

She gave it to me after unscrewing the cap, and I took a sip while still looking at her. I only realized how thirsty I was when I finished the whole thing in seconds. She gave me another one and I took it as well.

"How'd I get here?" I wondered out loud after finishing the water.

"William carried you all the way to here," the dark-skinned guy gestured to the other guy – William.

Oh.

I looked at William closely and bit the inside of my cheeks at the realization that he held me, in my half naked state all the way here. I wasn't a light person, so that must've not been a pleasant experience for him. The thought struck me that I was still in my bikini, and a sense of self-awareness rushed over me as I crossed my arms across my chest.

"Thank you," I gave William a half smile to which he replied with another smile and nod. "I'm Jade by the way."

"Brooklyn, and that's Ryan over there," the girl said. "Oh, umm, the nurse said that you needed to be covered because you were sweating and she couldn't bring the air conditioner down, so here's my shirt. We couldn't find anything else."

She began taking her shirt off, leaving herself only in her bikini. "You don't have to."

"No, no, it's the least I can do after hitting you like that," she handed me her shirt which was as I expected, too big for me. She was at least 7 inches taller than me, and the shirt reached mid-thigh.

"We have to go inform the nurse that you woke up, so we'll be back," Ryan said before leaving with William after him.

Brooklyn walked closer and sat on the chair next to my bed. I couldn't help but notice how pretty she was. She had the kind of attractiveness that struck you at first sight. Her face may have been too skinny, but her imperfect features, really deep tan, brown crazy curls, and slender body made her that more attractive. She was the kind of skinny girl that was exactly my opposite and be part of the popular's I ditched. It made me hate her that much more. She broke the silence first, snapping me out of my gaze.