IX. silly matters

"ALRIGHT," SHE PUSHED her glasses upwards, resting it on the crown of her head

"ALRIGHT," SHE PUSHED her glasses upwards, resting it on the crown of her head. "For this activity, you'll have to pair up. Yes, I don't like it either, but you know how the administration likes the group work and learning to work together to better the society. But in all honesty, let's not kid ourselves here. Most of you are going to end up with some wack job, hating your coworkers and smoking weed in between your breaks. If you were worried about the generation that voted for our president today, then you're in loads of trouble when it's your turn to vote, you tidepod-eating morons. It's not like any of this will—Oh. . . I got off track again. What was it that we were talking about? Yes, yes, pair up and discuss the themes of Macbeth."

The class was silent as everyone stared at Mrs. Evans. She was a fifty-something year old woman that everyone found weird, yet took her extremely serious. No one knew why she was the way she is now—'out of it' as some would say, but they did know that no matter what, this woman was never going to stop teaching in this school. Her sister was the principle, and thankfully, way more sane.

Then, the reality of the situation hit me, and I felt a sense of anxiety cripple in me. She told us to pair up. This was one of the few classes where I didn't have a friend in, and looking around, I saw that everyone was already with a pair. So I did the only thing I could, and kept my head down, letting my black hair fall around my face as I doodled and hoped that the teacher wouldn't notice me. Which she didn't.

Soon enough, the class ended, and everyone rose from their seats, relieved to be out of Mrs. Evans class. Metal chairs screeched as they were pushed violently on the floor, and conversations of this year's Halloween party started. I made my out of class and headed into the bathroom, trying to hurry up before the good food ran out in the cafeteria.

But as soon as I walked in, I was greeted by the three girls I hated the most.

There they stood, all clad in high heels and pounds of hairspray, plastering the same practiced smile on their faces. I can't believe I was one of them.

"Hi! We've been looking for you," Talia said sweetly, her hands gripping her bag in hand. "We just thought we should let you know that we're going to be hosting a Halloween after party at Lena's house this year."

"And we wanted you to be part of our costumes, so we'd look like the four-"

"No, thanks," I interrupted, dropping my bag on the floor and turning the faucet to wash my hands, giving them my back.

"What?" Destiny has a confused look on her face, like the words "no thanks" were just not making it to her peanut sized brain.

"I said no."  I sighed and closed the faucet. The sound of water running stopped abruptly and the bathroom was pin-drop silent as I turned back to face them. "I don't want to be part of your stupid group."