IV. funny encounters

I COULD FEEL HER ANGER SIMMER between us

I COULD FEEL HER ANGER SIMMER between us. I looked through the window, giving her my back to try to make it less awkward. Jacqueline didn't always get mad easily at me, she 'd often just get angry for a short while and then forget about it. But it's different this time, and I can see why. Earlier today, I told Jacqueline that I'd just take a quick swim at the beach and then text her to pick me up after an hour since I still didn't get my license. (I always had the fear of getting into a car accident ever since I was young and watched endless movies of people losing their loved ones because a drunk driver killed them.) So when the sun started setting, and I still hadn't called her, I could see why she'd panic.

Her constant overprotection was not without a reason, of course. Let's just say both of our parents were always here physically, but never mentally.

The familiar cobble-stoned roads lined with palm trees came into view, a sign that we were nearing the gates. I felt the pebbles and stone roll under the tires and pressed my face against the cool window, thinking of how I'd talk to Jacqueline in the house and what I'd tell her. She hadn't looked at me or spoke a word since I stepped into the car. We slowed down only for a second to greet the guards, Greg and Larry. I gave them a smile as well which was returned with a wave. The iron, tall gates opened and we drove around the glazed ceramic fountain with an angel spraying water out of its mouth in a perfect curve into the pool it was in.

Finally, she stopped in front of our tall one-way mirror glass front doors that looked black and opaque on the outside. She turned off the engine, and climbed out of the car, shutting the door with force. The sound rattled through me, making her anger clear as day.

I followed her into the house with a sigh. "Jacqueline, come on, it wasn't that bad. I'm okay, aren't I?"

She paused on her way to the stairs and turned around slowly. Her angular, deep-set Asian eyes looked exactly like mine. They were the only thing that we had in common along with our sleek black hair. She was the tall, skinny sister, and I was the short curvy one. Right now though, because of the whirl of emotions held behind those eyes that threatened to explode, it was the first time, she looked so different in every aspect.

 "Okay? Yeah, you are in one piece; of course, you're okay. But this isn't. I almost went to call the police because I spent all day looking for you. You weren't at the beach, Jade. You know, normal people would label you missing. You weren't answering your phone, and mom and dad said 'she'll pop up soon'. And now, I find out you were knocked out, unconscious for a while, and then you finally call me and ask me why I was so mad. When will you snap out of this, and realize that I'm trying to hold us together and. . . You know what, never mind, I need to start my homework, I was too busy all day, wasting my time."

I grimaced when she emphasized the last part and watched her black haired-head climb the stairs without looking back.

So much for trying to talk to her.