Time

8

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THESE CHARACTERS. THEY BELONG TO RICK RIORDAN!

Alone. That word had always bothered Leo. He had been alone for most of his life and sometimes he still felt like it. Last night Nico seemed hurt and of course, he wanted to be left alone, but Leo was worried. He wanted to know what was wrong with him, he needed to know. He didn't like to see him like this.

The day passed by as Leo did his duties, everyone else was busy either chatting or resting but he had work to do. Nico locked himself in Percy's room and hadn't come out since yesterday, he didn't allow anyone in, even Hazel. But Leo hadn't given up on talking to him, although he was hurt by Nico's words he wanted to make him feel better.

After talking with Festus for a while he was tired and he sat down. A few minutes later he heard footsteps on the deck. Piper and Jason walked toward him and sat in front of him. "Hi Leo," they said in unison.

"Hey guys," Leo smiled weakly.

"I haven't seen you since yesterday, where've you been?" Piper asked.

"Here," he muttered and began to play with his hands nervously.

Jason knew something wasn't right. "Leo, what's up buddy?"

Leo sighed and his smile disappeared completely. "The sky."

Jason rolled his eyes, they stayed quiet until Piper broke the silence. "Are you okay Leo?"

He looked down avoiding her gaze. "I'm okay," he lied, "umm Jason? What happened? Is Nico okay? What's wrong?" he said now looking directly at him.

Jason was amazed by the sudden burst of questions, Leo hadn't said more than two words a while ago, but he knew he could not answer this questions. "Leo I cannot answer this but why don't you ask him?"

"I-I would but I don't think he wants to talk to me," Leo said and his voice broke at the end.

"Leo, he needs you. I think you should go." Piper suggested.

He thought about it, he wanted so bad to go but he knew Nico needed to be left alone for a while. "I'll go but not now."

"Okay, whatever you say fire boy." That nickname made Leo smile a little. "Now let's do something fun to clear your mind and cheer you up, just the three of us."

Leo smiled and an idea popped in his head." Let's watch a movie! The last time I watch one I had to sneak into the theater."

The couple agreed and they went for blankets and food while Leo installed a DVD and a projector on the deck. About 20 minutes later they were ready to start. Half way through the movie Hazel and Frank joined in but there was no clue of Nico. Leo couldn't focus on the movie and that made him get angry with himself, he decided he will go with Nico after he woke up.

They ended watching two movies and halfway through the third one everyone fell asleep.

..----....----....----

Leo's eyes fluttered open, slowly adapting to the morning sunlight. He glanced around to find everybody in deep sleep. Rubbing his eyes he stood up and went with Festus, he had been looking after them all night and he deserved a rest so he turned him off.

He went to his room, took a shower and changed clothes. When he was done he glanced at the clock, "Okay he should be awake by now. Now put yourself together Valdez!" Opening the door he headed to Percy's room.

He stared at the blue door for several minutes. He remembered he had made it blue because Annabeth was always talking about Percy and how he adored the color blue. When Annabeth saw the door a tear almost fell from her eyes, it was a few days before they were ready to sail to New Rome and she was dying to see Percy again. Leo wanted this, he wanted to someone to care for him like Annabeth did for Percy. But right now he had to fix things between the only person he cared about that much.

He knocked three times and waited. After not hearing an answer he opened the door slightly.

"Nico?" He called out. Then he spotted him. He was sitting on the bed holding Dioclecian's scepter, staring at it thoughtfully. "Hey," Leo said shyly.

"Hi," Nico said. Leo's eyes opened in surprise, he had expected him to say nothing like last time.

"C-can we talk?" He asked.

"Yes," again Leo was surprised, "just not here."

"Okay, should we go to the deck?" Nico nodded and stood up.

The trip was silent, each one was lost in his thoughts. They arrived and sat in one of their usual spots. Everyone was gone by now but the leftovers of last night were still there. As soon as they sat down Leo spoke. "Nico I-" he sighed, "what happened?"

"Leo, I can't" his voice was breaking.

"Why can't you trust me?" Leo asked, "Seriously, after you know, kissing me not just one time but quite a few more, you should at least trust me a little."

"I do trust you but I-" Nico hesitated, "It's complicated."

Leo understood. "Okay, when you're ready you can tell me "

Nico nodded calmly but suddenly his expression was sadder. "Leo?"

"Yes?"

"I need time," as soon as he said it he bit his lip.

"Time?" Leo felt crushed, the one thing that had made him feel real happiness was banishing.

"For us." That was it. If you could hear how your heart shattered into a million pieces Leo would have heard it.

Leo just nodded and looked away. He wished he could cry because this was worst than crying. He felt nothing and everything at the same time and it hurt, badly.

Everything that happened next was fuzzy to him. Acting like he was fine around others, Nico glancing at him and leaving after kissing Hazel on the cheek, Frank and Hazel leaving too, talking to Piper and Jason for a while and finally Khione arriving.

Everything was clear at the moment Piper order him to summon fire and shoot her but he wasn't fast enough so she put out his fire and before he could even notice, he was being thrown out of his own ship.